Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2006, 12:12 PM

Default ?? When does the action reopen??

I've got a question about NL betting rules.

I'm playing with 50-100 blinds. I raise to 600. A player calls. A 3rd player is sitting with _____ chips goes all-in.

At what point does the last push reopen the action to me? Does it have to be 1100 to reopen the action? Or does an amount that is 1/2 or more of a raise (in this case 600+250 = 850 or more) reopen the action?
Old 08-17-2006, 03:42 PM

Default Re: ?? When does the action reopen??

[ QUOTE ]
I've got a question about NL betting rules.

I'm playing with 50-100 blinds. I raise to 600. A player calls. A 3rd player is sitting with _____ chips goes all-in.

At what point does the last push reopen the action to me? Does it have to be 1100 to reopen the action? Or does an amount that is 1/2 or more of a raise (in this case 600+250 = 850 or more) reopen the action?

[/ QUOTE ]

You might cross post this in one of the HE forums as the B&M guys would likely know what the exact rule is.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:08 PM

I'm not sure exactly what the question is here. I'm assuming that the all-in player has re-raised all-in rather than calling all-in with less than 600 chips. If the all-in player had 1200 chips then that makes his raise 600, so any additional raise would have to be at least 600 more making it 1800 to go. Hope that helps.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:20 PM

I've always thought that [ QUOTE ]
Or does an amount that is 1/2 or more of a raise (in this case 600+250 = 850 or more) reopen the action?

[/ QUOTE ] was correct.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Or does an amount that is 1/2 or more of a raise (in this case 600+250 = 850 or more) reopen the action?

[/ QUOTE ] was correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nix, I'm ASHAMED of you- you should know better!

In a LIMIT game/tourney, an all-in of 1/2 the full bet amount or more is considered a valid raise that reopens the betting.

In a NO LIMIT tourney, however, a 99.9% all-in raise is NOT a raise that reopens the betting for anyone who has already acted (anyone who hasn't acted yet never lost their chance to raise).

So, OP, it would be a raise to 1100 total, at a MINIMUM, to reopen the betting for no-limit (and usually pot-limit as well, I'm pretty sure). That is in place to prevent min-raising collusion (seesawing a caller in the middle), since raising is unlimited in number for big-bet games.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:04 PM

Boooooo! Coward! answer the question! BOOOOOOOOO!
Old 08-17-2006, 09:05 PM

Re-read it, I think you'll interpret it correctly.

Or, see my answer to Nix
Old 08-17-2006, 09:27 PM

"I'm playing with 50-100 blinds. I raise to 600. A player calls. A 3rd player is sitting with _____ chips goes all-in.

At what point does the last push reopen the action to me? Does it have to be 1100 to reopen the action? Or does an amount that is 1/2 or more of a raise (in this case 600+250 = 850 or more) reopen the action? "

Jon, as I already answered, TYPICALLY a full raise amount is required to reopening the betting. So, T500 more on top of your raise (or T1100 as you stated). 1 chip less, you can only call, as you have already acted once on the raise (by making that raise).

Now, I've heard some places do have a 1/2 bet rule. My understanding is, in those games, that any raise after the 3rd one has to be a pot-sized raise (again, so they don't whipsaw bettors in between, preventing collusion with min-raising).
Old 08-17-2006, 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] was correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nix, I'm ASHAMED of you- you should know better!

In a LIMIT game/tourney, an all-in of 1/2 the full bet amount or more is considered a valid raise that reopens the betting.

In a NO LIMIT tourney, however, a 99.9% all-in raise is NOT a raise that reopens the betting for anyone who has already acted (anyone who hasn't acted yet never lost their chance to raise).

So, OP, it would be a raise to 1100 total, at a MINIMUM, to reopen the betting for no-limit (and usually pot-limit as well, I'm pretty sure). That is in place to prevent min-raising collusion (seesawing a caller in the middle), since raising is unlimited in number for big-bet games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, limit omaha 8b is our game of choice, so that would explain it. I don't think that explains your little conversation there though. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-17-2006, 10:43 PM

"Well, limit omaha 8b is our game of choice, so that would explain it. I don't think that explains your little conversation there though."

Does that mean you need something clarified?