Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2006, 01:43 AM

Default 3/6 bluff attempt

3/6 online, 8 handed

Button is a TAG, and an aggro blind thief.

I'm in BB w/J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. My image shoulda been pretty taggy, maybe a bit semi-lag as I'd been running good preflop. I don't typically defend with hands this weak, but he'd been pounding on the blinds pretty relentlessly, so I decided to see a flop. Flop came, I decided to make a play--what do you think?

5 folds, Button raises, 1 fold, I call

Flop (5 SB): 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I check, Button bets, I call

Turn (3.5 BB): 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I check, Button bets, I raise
Old 08-17-2006, 01:51 AM

Default Re: 3/6 bluff attempt

not sure what you want people to say. bluffing on paired boards is a pretty standard move. if he has A high or a small pair and is a decent player, he might look you up. it's good that you have a gutshot to go along w/ your bluff. if you didn't, i'd say pick a better spot than this.
Old 08-17-2006, 02:10 AM

Yeah, but I might c/r the flop instead.
Old 08-17-2006, 02:38 AM

Against the right opponent, and with the right table image, I think this is a pretty decent bluff. But it would of course depend upon the opponent. Against some predictable opponents this is definately a profitable play.

However, if I was going to try to steal this pot, I'd just bet out at the flop from BB. I'll often bet against one or two opponents from the BB with the paired board. This is a profitable play for me. But it would again depend on the opponents. I wouldn't try it against a 'calling station'.

I agree with Xmas that it is better to bluff with at least a gutshot (a semi-bluff I guess). If your bluff gets called, your draw will usually have excellent implied odds as anyone calling the bluff will generally have a good hand (often trips) and will struggle to put you on the straight. Should you hit the gutshot, you can then cash in on this poor bastard's misfortune.
Old 08-17-2006, 02:48 AM

In this situation I prefer to c/r the flop lead the turn.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I think the profitability of this play depends on your opponent's showdown %. You do have a gut/w an overcard though, so with a call you still have a chance to improve.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the profitability of this play depends on your opponent's showdown %.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I have started to use WSD% to decide if an opponent is 'bluffable' or not. Exactly what kind of a number are you looking for before you decide to bluff someone?
Old 08-17-2006, 05:28 AM

A lot of players will check behind on this turn with hands that have showdown value (A high primarily); and then you're SOL.

You could make a move on the flop but that's a tough sell vs. this opponent on this flop.

You could also call the flop and DB the turn.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:13 AM

I'd probably wait for a better hand than J5s to defend; HEFAP has a good chapter pertaining to short-handed play and blind stealing.

In addition, if the button is getting the opportunity to steal relentlessly then this doesn't sound like a very good table at which to play--unless you want practice with stealing situations.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Ordinarily I would agree with this line as opposed to the turn c/r. But on this board I don't like it. What are c/r with a 9? Why wouldn't we wait until the turn? What are we representing with the c/r on the flop?

That being said I don't like the c/r turn with an inside straight draw. I would pick a better spot. Chances are he (unless he is weak tight) is calling the one bet getting 6.5:1, then a river bet getting 8.5:1. I fall into this trap a lot. I feel as though if I am in the hand I need to be relentlessly aggressive even with VERY marginal crap. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Peace,
Mygtar