Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2006, 01:33 PM

Default AQ hand, $475 sat. What are my options?

Here's a hand that is bothering me for a few days now. It's from a $475 sat to an EPT event. First 9 win about 9K package each. 17 left out of about 200, I'm below average.

The EP raiser was playing very LAGishly early on, making biggish calls too, especially from LP, but since he lost a big pot and the money is getting closer he became pretty tight. He seems like a solid player.

I don't have much of a read about button, he is relatively new to this table. I assume he isn't bad.

I have been playing fairly tight recently, picking my spots carefully. The blinds are going up slowly, and there's a lot of play in this format.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t800 (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG (t28344)
UTG+1 (t22700)
MP1 (t64387)
MP2 (t39497)
MP3 (t8884)
CO (t12130)
Button (t28252)
SB (t33175)
Hero (t19752)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t2400</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Button calls t2400, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t1600.

Flop: (t6800) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

What is your move/plan? And how about my PF call?
Old 08-16-2006, 01:41 PM

Default Re: AQ hand, $475 sat. What are my options?

PF call is fine, now you hit your hand. I think I lead out and hope to get raised. Lead for ~4k and push to resistance. The only hands I'm really afraid of is AK or TT.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:48 PM

Yeah, I think the PF call is fine, I would C/R all in on the flop and hope you aren't really unlucky with him having AK, AA or TT (or ATs maybe). If he checks behind on the flop, it depends what comes on the turn as far as action to take. I assume from your tone you end up going out to AK. Just bad luck IMO and not much you could do about it.

I guess if you wanted to be weak tight, then bet 5K on the flop and fold to a push and still have 13 BB or so to play on.

Halo7
Old 08-16-2006, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PF call is fine, now you hit your hand. I think I lead out and hope to get raised. Lead for ~4k and push to resistance. The only hands I'm really afraid of is AK or TT.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you are saying I should hope to get raised because he is raising PF with enough hands that are behind me now but with which he will still raise me when I lead (with a pretty short stack) into 2 players, including an EP raiser, when there's an ace on the flop? I'm not sure I follow you.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would C/R all in on the flop and hope you aren't really unlucky with him having AK, AA or TT (or ATs maybe).

[/ QUOTE ]

You think he's calling my c/r with AJ (if it's in his range)? KK? Or folding AK? What do i achieve with this c/r? I'm not trying to be argumentative, just asking.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:22 PM

I lead and fold to a raise.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:06 PM

i like it so far - i lead for 4500 and only fold if both stay in to a reraise. if both call, i reassess on the turn. if only one calls i jam. if i only get one reraise i have to call and assess on turn
Old 08-16-2006, 03:17 PM

leading out sucks sooooooo much, even worse so in a sat where you're marginal enough to need every chip.

c/something (probably call), push a blank or heart turn.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:33 PM

How about checking flop to pfr, he bets out 95%+ of time, if button calls, push.
If button folds, smooth call and bet out big on any turn card.
If button raises pfr a substantial amount, I think you can maybe even find a fold here?!?
Old 08-16-2006, 03:39 PM

In satellites it's all about putting pressure on OTHERS for their chips. In this situation, you have all of the pressure on you.

Especially at this point in the tournament, you need to wait for great places to put pressure on others with steals, resteals, et cetera and not look to play post flop poker OOP.

I personally think raising and folding are better options than calling preflop, but maybe that's just me. I think a good argument can be made for folding it.

As for post flop play leading is absolutely bad. Check/call/push is probably the best line.

Brad