Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2006, 12:32 PM

Default Live 2/5 NL against super LAG who\'s straddling huge

Harry's in Tahoe over the winter, now that I'm posting here wanted to get your thoughts on how to play this guy in certain situations.

After about an hour, it's pretty clear he and I are running the table, and everyone else has turned into a calling station.

We've mixed it up a bit with eachother, and I've gotten the better of him with some well planned bluffs, some of which I showed. At this point, he recharges to ~$500 and is really starting to tilt it up. <font color="red">His straddle has gone from $10-$15 all the way up to $35 now.</font> He plays very aggressively post-fop, but I've been able to sniff out pretty well when he's FOS and bet him off the hand.

The rest of the table is extremely soft and is easy to run over. Only problem - he's playing almost every pot and is ruining my party! The fish are scared and staying out of many pots, so he and I keep squaring off - which I think in the long run is hurting my rate because the fish now aren't coming in with marginal hands.

So, how do you deal with a situation like this?
Is there a specific strategy you employ against a maniac like this, which somehow doesn't involve scaring the fish?

How do we deal with his $35 straddles?
All the fish are scared to death to come in with anything. Given what I've told you about the table and my image - what's our range here to come in with, and how would you play the following:

(Assume I am in late position, villain has straddled to $35 with ~$500 behind, I cover, everyone folds to me.

I look down and find:

a) 55-99
b) 1010-AA
c) AK-A10

Call, Raise, Fold? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-16-2006, 12:57 PM

Default Re: Live 2/5 NL against super LAG who\'s straddling huge

a) Raise
b) Raise
c) Raise

I wouldn't mind getting it all in the middle with any of these holding verse a tilting straddler.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:00 PM

1) Get position if at all possible on the button for his straddle position.

Answer, D, Raise any two to $150 everytime he straddles. He will stop it sooner or later.

Answer, E, take a 30 min break if your EV is greater with the fish playing than with the LAG, LAG'ing it up keeping them out of the pots. Without you there to feed his addiction to "action", he will likely get bored and settle down or leave. If he is still there when you get back, refuse to play with him without teir 1 hands, but ONLY if your session's EV is greater with the fish than against him, otherwise see D.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Answer, E, take a 30 min break if your EV is greater with the fish playing than with the LAG, LAG'ing it up keeping them out of the pots. Without you there to feed his addiction to "action", he will likely get bored and settle down or leave. If he is still there when you get back, refuse to play with him without teir 1 hands, but ONLY if your session's EV is greater with the fish than against him, otherwise see D.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I would do. There is definetly more profit from all the monkeys there. Any PP of 77+ or AQ+ I repop. Besides that I let him take the $8 in blinds and move on.

Are you talking about Harvey Lake Tahoe. If so, aren't the blinds 3/5? Just asking cause that is where my playground is.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:02 PM

a) 55-99 mixed between rasing and calling
b) 1010-AA mostly raising but some calls to trap with bigger pairs
c) AK-A10 Mostley rasies

FOLDING IS completely out of the question!!
Then again I'm very aggressive my self and love all the hands you have listed. Especailly against a manaic