Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2006, 11:31 AM

Default choosing a doctor

I'm trying to choose a primary care physician in Manhattan. My doctor friends tell me that the medical school is a very important factor to consider in choosing a doctor. I have found one that passes this criterion (Harvard medical school), is conveniently located, and accepts my insurance of choice (Aetna). However, she has gotten two rather negative reviews on RateMds.com. Here's a link:

http://www.ratemds.com/ShowRatings.jsp?did=33312

Should I choose her anyway?
Old 08-16-2006, 11:45 AM

Default Re: choosing a doctor

I think when it comes to choosing a general practitioner, medical school is not that big of a deal as long as they went to a reasonable good school.

The best thing to do is to get a recommendation from friends or co-workers.

Also you can check the list of NY Magazine top doctors
http://nymag.com/bestdoctors/index.htm

My doctor is pretty good, but he is down on 20th street, so that may not be convenient for you.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:52 AM

Thanks for the link, Max.

[ QUOTE ]
My doctor is pretty good, but he is down on 20th street, so that may not be convenient for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

That actually might work (close to home as opposed to work). Would you mind PMing me his info?
Old 08-16-2006, 05:47 PM

Here's some advice I once read, although I haven't changed doctors in a while I may consider it when it's time to do so:

Although some might find it frustrating to deal with a foreign doctor ("They can't speak [censored] ENGLISH!", etc...) their unsophisticated speech may actually work to your advantage. Reason being, they don't speak so figuratively like most native speakers do. An example, an American doctor might say something along the lines of "Well, the tests are back, most everything looks OK, ehhh, oh and your cholesterol isn't quite where I'd like it to be," i.e. beating around the bush/sugarcoating. Conversely, the Wangtenese/Bindu doctor will say "Your cholesterol is very bad." Might not be what you want to hear, but if it's true, you do need to hear it.

Just something to keep in mind.