Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2006, 02:22 PM

Default My HU SNG experiment: Is it possible??

First let me go ahead and say, I am aware that I'm not the first person to think of something like this, but I couldnt find any threads about it. Please forgive me if this is a repost. I recently started trying to climb the HU SNGs at Full Tilt, from $5 to $500, to see if I could win my way up one at a time. I play two $5 HU SNGs to get started, and if I win those, I go to $10, then $20, and so on until I lose and drop to where I started or I make it to the $1000 mark. Rake isnt too much of a problem since the levels go from $20 to $30 to $50. I added up all of the matches I would need to pull this off, and I would have to win 10 straight! I have tried it a few times, and the best I have done is 5 straight. Do you think its feasable to win 10 straight HU matches? I thought I was a good HU player before, but now I know I need to get a lot better if I want to pull this off. Has anyone ever won 10 straight HU SNGs or more???
Old 08-15-2006, 07:45 PM

Default Re: My HU SNG experiment: Is it possible??

It is important to remember that the players (on average) will be getting more difficult as you move up. So winning 10 straight in this manner would be as difficult as winning something like ~15-20 straight at the $5 level.

I haven't won 10 HU SNGs in a row.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First let me go ahead and say, I am aware that I'm not the first person to think of something like this, but I couldnt find any threads about it. Please forgive me if this is a repost. I recently started trying to climb the HU SNGs at Full Tilt, from $5 to $500, to see if I could win my way up one at a time. I play two $5 HU SNGs to get started, and if I win those, I go to $10, then $20, and so on until I lose and drop to where I started or I make it to the $1000 mark. Rake isnt too much of a problem since the levels go from $20 to $30 to $50. I added up all of the matches I would need to pull this off, and I would have to win 10 straight! I have tried it a few times, and the best I have done is 5 straight. Do you think its feasable to win 10 straight HU matches? I thought I was a good HU player before, but now I know I need to get a lot better if I want to pull this off. Has anyone ever won 10 straight HU SNGs or more???

[/ QUOTE ]

i once won almost 5000 straight
Old 08-15-2006, 11:32 PM

This isn't a good idea. Even if it is +EV for you it wouldn't be as good as just playing a steady level and the variance will be sick.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:48 PM

Thanks fellas. I'm starting to realize how hard this would be. Maybe one day when I have a really solid bankroll, a little more experience, and some time to burn I might think about giving it a shot again. I just think it would be quite an accomplishment to climb the entire ladder.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:31 AM

I believe there is a challenge like this (except more realistic). I think it's called Gigabet's SNG Challenge or something. I'm not quite sure. It involves moving up through the SNG ranks with a limited bankroll.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:57 AM

I won 13 straight 20 dollar HU sngs but i cant imagine how it would be to win the 9 straight and then lose that 10th when you could have just sat back with your 1000 bucks or wahtever the last level you mentioned was
Old 08-16-2006, 05:32 PM

Oh, I just realized this is in the HU forum. It's much easier to win 10 HU SNGs in a row than it is to win 10 full table SNGs, which is what I thought you were talking about.

I don't think I've won ten in a row myself. I've had nine once, and eight a few times, but never ten.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:34 PM

Yes, but as you move up in stakes and skill, the harder it will be to win 10 in a row.

I won 12 in a row at $10 HU SNG's, but I doubt I would win 12 in a row at $50 SNG's.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:40 PM

Your goal is ambitious and I admire your insanity. So, why isnt this a good idea? Several reasons off the top of my head:

-- Time. You would have to play for many hours to play ten games in a row. Then, say you lose the tenth one. There goes 3 hours of your life.
-- Probability. Say you got it all in with aces vs eights every game. Odds are you wont make it.
-- Intensity. The players get better as you move up.
-- Weariness. You'll be tired and playing badly by your tenth game. This assume you do it all in a row. Even if you dont, there will be so much pressure as you get to games 8, 9, and 10 that you wont be able to play your A game. Combined with the more experienced players and you're in trouble.

But hey, insanity rocks.