Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2006, 01:26 AM

Default Versus some awesome bluffer

I could tell you that this guy likes to bluff, I could tell you that he especially likes bluffing preflop raisers, I could tell you that his stats are inexplicably around 40/8/1.25ish (loose but not incredibly so), but really this hand tells you all you need to know.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

River: (7.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Final Pot: 9.25 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Jd Jh (one pair, jacks).
Button has 2s 2d (one pair, twos).
Outcome: Hero wins 9.25 BB. </font>

So against someone like this, I play this hand which I'm not too fond of but can't put my finger on just why:

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (4 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (2.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.25 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

River: (3.25 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero...

Final Pot: 5.25 BB

I don't care about preflop; I raise this N percent of the time and this wasn't my N. No reason to believe he actually has a 9 on the flop so I was prepared to call down, but him checking behind on the turn was a bit surprising; I'd figure he'd at least semi-bluff if he was on a draw. But anyway whatcha doing on the river then, betting out or checking to induce a bluff? Hell comment on the whole hand if you want; I'm not especially proud here.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:34 AM

Default Re: Versus some awesome bluffer

I hope you were going for a c/r on the turn. The way you played it I prefer checking to induce on the river.

My preferred line would of been to raise PF, bet/3bet flop, etc.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I hope you were going for a c/r on the turn. The way you played it I prefer checking to induce on the river.

My preferred line would of been to raise PF, bet/3bet flop, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay I have no idea why you want to c/r this.

I also have no idea why you think the only play for this hand is RAAAAAAAAARRR
Old 08-15-2006, 01:51 AM

Habitual bluffers aren't really the players I want to open the fire hose on.

Although it's not terribly likely, we could easily be crushed on the flop or turn. This also isn't a way ahead/way behind situation.

My gameplan would be to keep the pot small and make sure I showdown.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Although it's not terribly likely, we could easily be crushed on the flop or turn. This also isn't a way ahead/way behind situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that because we're more often WA than WB?
Old 08-15-2006, 03:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is because we have a marginal, but likely best hand, and it is tough to know where you are at against this player. Trying to reach showdown in this hand, and then waiting for a better spot later when we have a stronger hand against this guy to unleash our fury is a good idea. IMO
Old 08-15-2006, 04:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I think we're more often ahead, but I don't think we're way ahead very often at all. He could have many hands with six outs against ours, and like I said before he could easily be winning already. I don't see any reason to swell the pot by getting into a spray-fest against a guy who's willing to do that with hands we beat, thus forcing us to put a lot of bets in the pot on the way to showdown when we could easily be crushed.

I basically want two bets total going in on both big streets combined, and it seems that against this particular player the best way to achieve that is to let him take the lead.

Obviously if we knew ahead of time he was going to check the turn then betting would be best, but I think the chances of this guy checking the turn through are very low.

It's also true that he might call a river bet with a whole slew of hands we beat, but I think it's more likely he's going to bluff-bet with those hands than call with them.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:52 AM

Here's 1 reason;
[ QUOTE ]
I could tell you that he especially likes bluffing preflop raisers

[/ QUOTE ]

I would c/r turn because you didn't 3bet the flop (you are most likely to have the best hand, against this guy)

This guy seems to like bullying people around, let him bully you &amp; take advantage of the extra bets he spews.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:37 AM

As you mentioned PF is meh.

After his flop raise i'm inclined to say WA/WB, and a turn check is fine. Let him keep donking at you with a worse hand.

After the turn check... I don't know. Did he give up on his semi-bluff with a PP or 2nd pair or air? Was he going for a free club?

Given his turn check i'm inclined to think he was on a draw. Looks like a good spot to induce a bluff to me against an aggressive player.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:39 AM

I think you're winning but I think your best chance at winning another bet on the river is to let him bluff at it.

There is an argument to made about betting and letting him bluff raise you, and if he's really spastic I could be sold on that also. Sometimes you'll lose two bets when he has a 3 or has something ridiculous like JJ, but that's not the end of the world. Two bets is two bets, and I assume you were planning to call down if he had bet the turn anyway.

The big thing here, obviously, is not folding.