Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2006, 08:51 PM

Default Grandparents

This post was inspired by db's anecdote about having tea with his great grandparents. http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...Number=6804262

What wonderful stories or memories can you share about your grandparents?

I have been lucky in that I got to know three of my grandparents into adulthood. The stories and experiences are priceless. I will try not to go on and on because it would be easy to do.

This post is about my grandfather...Grandpa Irv, aka "Shorty". He was a vaudeville performer in the 1930's and his stories from that time if his life are so amazing(to me at least) that I have to share.

He had a very special talent of impersonation, in particular Amos 'n' Andy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amos_'n'_Andy

He was "discovered" by a newspaper man while Shorty was practicing his Amos 'n' Andy routine in a bathroom stall. The reporter was floored when Shorty and only Shorty stepped out. You see, he could impersonate ALL the characters, I think eight or so. He performed locally here in Minneapolis and had would call people as Amos 'n'Andy. One infamous story is when he called Fanny Brice and fooled her.

The article mentions that he performed at the Paramount Theater. I recently learned how his act would play out. He would be on stage, and behind the curtain and the audience would hear Amos 'n' Andy (and company) come to life. When he was done the curtain would rise and there stood Shorty..all by himself.

In addition to playing and impersonating he also played sax at the Cotton Club.

He and his "manager" Pussy Simon, who would also wear blackface and perform with my gramps would also travel the country,"ridin' the rails" and performing in whatever city they were in. In addition to traditional performances, would get different gigs, from being hired by corporate bigwigs to call and impersonate Amos 'n' Andy to their friends(after Shorty had called the bigwigs and fooled them) to working for car dealerships-he and Pussy would drive around in a car and it would "break down" in the middle of traffic and they would go into the a comedy routine-in blackface-fix the car and be on their way.
[image][/image](my grandpa is on the right-click the pic to enlarge it)
(Mind you, my mother put this in a great perspective, this would be like Jerry Seinfeld and Kramer doing this a few years ago, Amos 'n' Andy were that popular)

I grew up listening to these stories and these stories have been recently renewed as I have been going through old photos with my grandmother. It is one of the ways that she can grieve for my grandpa,her husband of 72 years, as he died this last January at the age of 99.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:19 PM

Default Re: Grandparents

I have very few stories about mine, only knowing two of them. Unfortunately, one of the only stories I do have is what I would consider a bad one. Not to bring the mood down, but there are few good oppurtunities in every day life to tell this one. My great uncle, who had adopted my sister and I, wanted to buy me an old car to fix up. I was maybe 8 at the time. So he heard my grandfather was selling his 48' coupe. My great uncle went to his house about two hours away, paid for the car, and then said he would get the car one week later. When he came back, the car had disappeared, and of course the money did too. The issue was never resolved, but it did cause a division that never did close.

Cam
Old 08-15-2006, 07:36 AM

Oh, cool thread.

I was very attached to my maternal grandparents, and actually remember both sets of maternal Great Grandparents too, though those on the Grandma's side died when I was about 6 or 7.

I didn't really know my father (met him about 5-6 times in my life, each time for just a little while, and the last time I saw him I was about 15, and basically told him to eff off as I thought he was bothering my mother; in fact, i do believe she never stopped loving him and it broke her heart when I rejected him like this, so I regret it a lot now...but too late to do anything about it now), so my Grandpa was my father-figure/role model.

He was a cool guy, not big particularly, but strong and muscular. He was a boxer in earlier days, and kept his fitness by walking a lot and 'breathing right' (his words). He was very easy-going and never spoke to me unkindly, ever. He'd play cards and checkers with me for hours, and always bring comics home for me (we lived with my Grandparents until I was about 8).

My Grandma was also cool, treated me very well, but could shout and argue for England when it needed it. She was always worrying about stuff though, and quite nosey, which was pretty funny to hear her gossiping.

I have lots of stories, but I'll share one for now.

Grandma and Grandpa were waiting at a bus stop, when a friend of my Grandpa pulls up in a car. 'Jump in, Fred, I'll give you a lift', says the friend, and he does...without my Grandma. He then waited for her at the other end of the journey, and she gave him an earful when she arrived....
Old 08-15-2006, 11:33 AM

I know very little about my grandfather on my mother's side even though he didn't die until I was about 13 or so. All I know for sure is he was among the infantry that stormed the beach at Normandy. He never mentioned anything about it, all he did was drink and scream at the tv during old war movies. Obviously he had seen things that he never wanted to speak of ever again, but it made him a bit of a hermit inside himself. Apparently, before the war he was a world class dancer. I also remember him being an excellent cribbage player.

My other grandfather just recently passed away after a long list of ailments. He spoke very little, but that was due to his mispronouncing everything in English as Italian was his first language. He called everyone "Bud" because it was easier than remembering their names. He loved chocholate covers almonds. He could also smoke anybody in golf even though he never drove the ball over 150 yards. He told me straight shots are worth way more than far shots, and to this day I still can't grasp that advice.

Anyone else notice that your grandparents always looked like old movie stars in the pictures from the 30's and 40's? I wish I was half as photogenic as everyone seemed to be back then.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:20 PM

I wish I had done more with my grandparents.

When I was little I knew my grandmother much better than my grandfather. We would do puzzles together (I remember a pink panther one we did all the time), and we would always have tea and corn muffins and watch Julia Child. I remember once when I was around 10 I taped a conversation with her about her childhood etc...and I wish I still had it. She had Alzheimer's and shortly after was not able to communicate with me.

My mom and I moved in w/ my grandfather in the 8th grade. He was so good to me and I really think I treated him like crap. I was always stealing money (although he was a cop for many a year and I suspect the money was put in this one particular spot for both my mother and I). He gave me lunch money every day. He would even come to this house down by the high school every day and read his paper and wait for about an hour to see if I needed a ride. I'm talking every single day. He would always make sure I had gas in my car or a ride if I needed it (before I had my license he set up a tab at the cab company to make sure I'd always have a ride if he wasn't around.) He passed away before I could grow up and thank him for these things.

My other grandparents I never really knew. My dad's family didn't embrace me much (I was a child he had w/ a mistress) and he really didn't keep in touch w/ his family much anyway. But my Grandmother and Grandfather always sent me a birthday card, every year w/ money and a letter. My Grandma Maxine would always make sure that I was well and that I knew I was loved. Being a kid I never wanted to sit down and write her a letter. But in high school I started to realize how cool it was of her to never forget me. So I wrote her a letter and it made her the happiest person in the world. She was killed in a car accident not long after that. Which stinks because I really wish I had known about her life. I met my Grandpa Henry a few years later which was really cool. I should probably write to him before he is gone as well.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:21 PM

The thing that's really cool about grandparents is BEING one! And I am. We have six. I think grandchildren are nature's way of rewarding you for not strangling your children when they are teenagers!

I will look at my grandchildren and see some expression or look that maybe I saw in my parents, but never in myself.

My daughetr Ann was over the other day and brought her daughter, Lilly, who is 6, and who is in many ways my fave out of my 6 (first among equals). Lilly was fooling around with some stuff on my desk, and Ann saw it. "Dad," she said, "You never let ME do that!" I replied, "That's true. But you weren't Lilly!"

Maybe grandchildren are as close as we get to immortality.

bill c [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-30-2007, 02:20 PM

I am going to bump this post.

Today we had a unveiling and memorial for Shorty. It would have typically been done one year after his death but because January in Minnesota can be brutal my grandmother wanted to wait.

So it was pouring rain and we went to his grave site to remember him. As my grandma was sitting in the rain in front of his gravestone she says, "Lets hurry this up, its cold out here." Then she looks at his gravestone and says, "Sorry dear."

Funny thing is, he would be the first to tell us we were all crazy for standing in the rain and that we should go home.

I really do miss him.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:56 PM

It's funny how even in death we can still appreciate (and laugh!) at our loved ones. I can totally picture my grandfather (may he rest in peace) saying the same thing!

Okay - this thread just made me call my grandmother to say hello. She thanks you (and wants to know why I don't call more often)!
Old 03-30-2007, 03:05 PM

Grandpa, Nana, Mama and Paw-Paw...my grandparents...are all dead. But they were great while they were here!
Old 03-30-2007, 03:40 PM

I had a unique relationship with my mom's dad. He was like a best friend to me. I think this is extremely rare in today's society and I'm glad that I could have this type of relationship with him. I could call him with any of my problems or help me deal with my parents since my parents and I got into A LOT of fights when I was 14-18. He was always there to help out in anyway he could. Him and my grandma would take us out to eat whenever and where ever we wanted because they were happy to spend time with us. He took us on numerous fishing trips and my grandparents came over every sunday for a big dinner.

Unfortunately he died ~4 years ago and he is my only grandparent that has died. His death was and still is extremely hard for me to deal with because he wasn't "that" old, 73. I wish he would have lived a couple more years, being that I'm getting married in Oct. Even writing this little blurb is hard for me.

As for my other grandparents they moved across the country when I was 9 or so. I remember having a lot of fun with them as a kid and still enjoy being around them now, but I don't have as much of an appreciation for them as I do my mom's parents because I never see them.