Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2006, 05:04 PM

Default Film Review: Candyman

Candyman

Made in 1992, Candyman is one of the few American films of the 90s that can be properly called a horror movie. There were plenty of others that were part-horror and part something else (such as Scream, From Dusk Till Dawn) or may be considered horror by some but were in fact high-class thrillers (like Silence of the Lambs or Seven), but to my mind, only Candyman, People under the Stairs and Blair Witch Project were the only notable American movies made in the 90s that are rightly called 'horror'. Well, maybe The Sixth Sense and The Prophecy reviewed by me here fit in that list too, not sure (more supernatural thrillers maybe).

Candyman is a simple idea - if you say 'Candyman' 5 times into a mirror, Candyman will come, with his big rusty hook for a hand, and get you. As the story unfolds, we find out that Candyman may be the vengeful ghost of a black artist from many years before, who was attacked by a racist mob, had his hand cut off, and then murdered by the same mob...but it may also be a creation in the troubled mind of the heroine, played here very nicely by Virginia Madsen (who was also pretty good in another supernatural movie already mentioned, The Prophecy). The guy that plays Candyman - Tony Todd - has crated a very charismatic monster here, and is a real presence throughout the film. Once you see him, he seems to be present either in fact or in spirit in every frame afterwards, he's that striking. The story is based on a Clive Barker short story, 'The Forgotten', and to me Candyman is every bit as good a creation as Barker's Pinhead and the Cenobites of 'Hellraiser' - much credit to Todd to make him so good.

It's a truly effective, classy, and engaging horror, exploring several themes very nicely; the idea of an urban legend being true; being subject to wrongful accusations of the worst kind; and self-doubt in one's own sanity. However, whilst it is classy, it doesn't shy away from gore and guts, so be prepared for that.

One minor quibble to me is the ending didn't really work entirely for me, as I wasn't quite sure how we got to the point it ended on, but I wasn't too bothered by that, and don't wish to spoil it for others, so will say no more.

To me, this belongs in the list of the top 30 horror movies ever made, it's that well-made and well-executed. It's a stylish movie that satisfies on pretty much all levels, and it's scary as hell.

OVERALL: 4
REWATCHABILITY: Once or twice a year.Adults only.

RATINGS (out of 5):
0 - This is a complete waste of time, and you will regret wasting it
1 - don't bother unless no other options at all
2 - okay for a single watch, if you've got time
3 - Definite watch if you get a chance
4 - See it very soon, at least once before you die
5 - See it immediately, no excuses
Old 08-14-2006, 05:33 PM

Default Re: Film Review: Candyman

Really a frightening film. If I recall, there's a really creepy parking garage scene?
Old 08-14-2006, 05:46 PM

This is one of my all time favorites as well. Clive Barker has a truly dark mind. Too bad the sequals were not done as well.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:49 PM

Great horror movie. And I'm gonna see The Prophecy, based on your recommendation.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:42 PM

i remember seeing this on video when it first came out and not being all that impressed...guess i'll have to check it out again...
Old 08-14-2006, 10:47 PM

DB, you forgot to mention the excellent soundtrack with original scores contributed by Phillip Glass...the music definitely sets the theme and tone of the film.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:03 PM

I watched this in '93 or '94 and still reach around the wall to turn the lights on before walking into a bathroom. Candyman was the first and last horror movie I ever watched.

Scott
Old 08-14-2006, 11:35 PM

Good review. I've always really liked this movie and have seen it many times since it first came out.

"Be my victim"
Old 08-15-2006, 01:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
DB, you forgot to mention the excellent soundtrack with original scores contributed by Phillip Glass...the music definitely sets the theme and tone of the film.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it was indeed a great musical score. Appropriate, and worked very well to enhance the feel of the movie.

One other thing I didn't mention is the commentary, which is definitely worth listening to. It contains snippets from Madsen and Barker, and Barker picks up on the fact he was criticised for plagiarising African-American folklore in using Candyman. Critics were convinced Candyman had been around for years...but Barker in fact had made the character up!
Old 08-15-2006, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As a huge Philip Glass fan, I watched the film only for the soundtrack and was impressed with the way the movie was done. I'm pretty sure Glass is on the record saying he mostly did it as a joke or for fun.