Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2006, 03:41 PM

Default Do you dream about poker?

Sometimes after a bad tourney, I will have the losing hand on my mind a lot as I drift off to sleep, and I will sometimes not sleep great that night because the losing hand or hands keep playing out over and over within my head. That may be weird, or it may be standard - I don't know.

But the other night I had a weird dream that I put out an open invite on the 2+2 forums for people to come over to my house for a small tourney or cash game. Well, in the dream, a couple people showed up and a few were chicks. My wife was ok with random chicks from an internet forum showing up at our house, so that should have tipped me off right away that I was dreaming. Anyway, I was concerned that we wouldn't have enough players, but before I knew it, I had about 18-20 people in my living room for the tourney. People kept showing up soon I started freakin out because I didn't have enough tables or chairs for a tourney this big. Then I woke up crying and realized I wet myself. OK, that last line is a lie, but I realized my dream sucked and I thought I had to make something up to make the story more interesting. Anyway...

With poker affecting my dreams and sleep, do you think that I am too consumed with it?
Old 08-14-2006, 03:47 PM

Default Re: Do you dream about poker?

uh, if you build it, they will come...

a couple weeks ago, I dreamt that I was in vegas during the WSOP and started out in the low buyin tourney's, cashed in the event, had enough to but into another, cashed some more and eventually, bought into the ME.

Seriously considering going to the WSOP next year to play in the 1000 buy in events.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:33 PM

My fiancee told me once that she woke up in the middle of the night and I was talking about hands in my sleep.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My fiancee told me once that she woke up in the middle of the night and I was talking about hands in my sleep.

[/ QUOTE ]

For some reason, this made me lol.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:59 PM

I never really have vivid dreams about anything, but I do have dreams about winning big tournaments and things of that nature. I don't have a dream that I can recall where something went wrong, poker-wise.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:50 PM

I have had the same experience, mostly with tossing and turning a bit before falling asleep as I go through hands of the last session. I've found it helpfull to do something completely relaxing for at least an hour before bed. Something I'll zone out with a dumb tv show, or take a shower and walk the dog. Something to get my mind off poker. When possible, I really try to not play in the late evening, or at least have something planned (dinner with friends etc) after a session. This isn't always possible though.

F
Old 08-14-2006, 09:15 PM

When I used to play chess, I use to daydream about chess moves.. And I do the same thing about poker.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:36 AM

I play 20hrs a week and read about it a lot, and it is my full income - but I never dream about it. I think of it as just a source of income, really.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:07 AM

I have poker dreams atleast once a week. Probably more as I don't remember all my dreams. I usually wake up with just a starting hand ingrained in my brain. The ones I do remember seem to come on nights that I play right up unitll I go to bed.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:29 AM

I occasionally have dreams in which I am playing. I win every hand. That's how I know I'm dreaming [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]