Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Group 4 - Five vs. Twelve
Terminator 168 87.50%
Robocop 24 12.50%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-14-2006, 12:02 PM

Default Cool Story from Bellagio Dealer, Moral Dillema Poll

Played 15-30 at Belll this weekend. Round 3am Sunday morning, older white dude dealer comes in (we'll calll him Joe). All night the table had been talking about the mixed game going on in the high limit room (as usual). Reese, Elezera, Greenstein, Hansen, Farha, and Antonius are playing 1-2000 Mixed game. Reese had a million dollar stack in front him. Anyways, all night the dealers had been bitching that they were getting 0 tips from the pro game. So this Joe comes in and agrees with us, saying that the pro game was the worst game for tips by far, that many of the pros were huge [censored], etc. Then he launches into this story about the one time he DID get tipped, by none other than gus Hansen. Gus had just dragged a large pot, and was attempting to blindly stack his chips while face down in his chair while receiving a massage. It was Joe's last hand, so as he gets up and walks by Hansen, Hansen holds out two chips for him. Joe takes them, slightly impressed a pro was even tipping him at all. As he walks out of the room, he looks down at the chips, fulling expecting a couple singles or maybe a couple 5's, but to him astonishment, Gus had handed him two yellowish chips, a 5000, and a 25000! Wihtout taking time to think about it, Joe walked back over to Gus, shows him the two chips and says "You must really want me to retire Gus". Gus unamusedly looks up at the chips, takes them, blurts out a half-hearted "thanks", and then hands Joe a $100 dollar chip, seemingly unaffected by the gravity of Joe's honest deed. We all mulled this story over, double checking his details for verification purposes, and discussing what we would have done. Most people seemed to think they would have done the same thing, noting that when they looked down at the chips they would have felt too much guilt/sense of morality to attempt to keep the chips. Joe told us he didn't even really think about it, that he knew immediately it was a mistake, and that it wasnt rightfully his money. Then again, Hansen DID hand him the chips, and seemed completely unaffected by their return. Its doubtful that what Joe did had very much impact on Hansen. Joe in fact doubted Hansen would have ever noticed. So, in the spirit of anonymous morality testing, what would you do in this situation:
Old 08-14-2006, 12:17 PM

Default Re: Cool Story from Bellagio Dealer, Moral Dillema Poll

That blows.

Guy did the right thing, would have been nice of Hansen to toss him a G at that point but what can you do?

Embarassing for everyone but the guy obviously just padded his karmic bankroll.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:45 PM

I've returned hundreds of dollars before, but if someone hands me $25k, I'd probably hang on to it. There's a point at which my morals can be bought.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:49 PM

id return them and lay awake that night pissed off wishing he never gave them to me in the first place so i didnt have to do the right thing to begin w/.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:51 PM

Old 08-14-2006, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah Maiden.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:57 PM

Interesting dilemma. I'd return the chips, too, but not for purely altruistic purposes. If the dealer had cashed in those two big chips, surely eyebrows would have been raised and word would have gotten around. His keeping them would have been viewed by many in a less than positive light, to say the least.

If the tip had been cash and no one would ever know, it would be tough not to keep it. Pros at that level can win or lose more than that in a single hand, but that money would make a big difference for someone who makes an average salary.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:58 PM

I would probably try to rationalize this in my head - thinking he was just being overly kind (it could happen, right?). But probably giving them back in the end... :sigh:

p.s. Weaksauce for only toking 100, I think he should have given a grand here...

p.s.s. How big must the pot have been?
Old 08-14-2006, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

p.s. Weaksauce for only toking 100, I think he should have given a grand here...

[/ QUOTE ]

You are joking right? ONLY $100? Thats the biggest tip Joe will ever get in his entire career as a dealer. Thats huge.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 08-14-2006, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are joking right? ONLY $100? Thats the biggest tip Joe will ever get in his entire career as a dealer. Thats huge.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Certainly. But given the circumstance not that impressive.

The guy didn't have to correct Hanson's $29,900 mistake for not paying attention.

Kinda lame, imo.