Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2006, 10:26 PM

Default Continental Airlines -- Fat Person Policy (\"Passenger Of Size\")

Continental Airlines, like almost all airlines, has a "passenger of size" policy, where the passenger is required, at some unknown threshold of size, to purchase an extra seat in order to travel.

I'm curious as to whether anybody here has any experience with this policy and how it is enforced.

In particular,

Is there some definite way to determine if you are fat enough to fall under this policy?

Does it matter if the plane is full (i.e., will they not force the extra seat on you if there are several other empty seats on the plane)?

I didn't fall under this policy the last time I flew to Vegas, but I didn't bring it to their attention either. The plane was not full and did have several empty seats, so maybe it didn't matter.

I talked to Continental's customer service and they weren't helpful with the policy. They couldn't clarify whether it mattered if the plane was full.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:42 PM

Default Re: Continental Airlines -- Fat Person Policy (\"Passenger Of Size\")

last time I was on a flight on united i complained that the person next to me was too fat and spilling over (she was). This was before the plane took off, on a full flight. They told me there were no more seats, and I said, well, she's taking half of mine, so this is unacceptable. They gave me a free coupon for another flight and comped that flight.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:44 PM

Shakes,

I wish every airline would be super-vigilant about enforcing this policy and as part of their ticket conditions make it very clear that if you are of certain dimensions or greater, you need two tickets or else will be denied carriage.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:50 PM

Can this really be legal? I mean don't get me wrong it would suck to sit next to an obese person and have it be uncomfortable, but this seems illegal as well as immoral.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Shakes,

I wish every airline would be super-vigilant about enforcing this policy and as part of their ticket conditions make it very clear that if you are of certain dimensions or greater, you need two tickets or else will be denied carriage.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish they would too. I actually wish they would get together on one uniform policy, as I think some airlines are more harsh than others. If I take up a portion of the seat next to me, I deserve to be charged for two, at least if the plane is otherwise full.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can this really be legal? I mean don't get me wrong it would suck to sit next to an obese person and have it be uncomfortable, but this seems illegal as well as immoral.

[/ QUOTE ]

This has nothing to do with morals, wtf? And the legality, while Im sure its legal, someonen will try and sue.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
last time I was on a flight on united i complained that the person next to me was too fat and spilling over (she was). This was before the plane took off, on a full flight. They told me there were no more seats, and I said, well, she's taking half of mine, so this is unacceptable. They gave me a free coupon for another flight and comped that flight.

[/ QUOTE ]

when and how did you bring this up? did the fat lady ever know what was going on, and what was being said? since you got a free flight out of it, if i walk up to my seat, and see some spillover, what should be my play? turn around? keep walking right to the back? yell bomb?

thanks in advance
Old 08-13-2006, 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fatty.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This has nothing to do with morals, wtf?

[/ QUOTE ]

Like it isn't the biggest dick move of all time for someone to be at the counter and the attendant to say, "I'm sorry sir, you'll have to purchase an additional ticket because you're overweight." WTF HOW DO YOU NOT SEE THIS
Old 08-13-2006, 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This has nothing to do with morals, wtf?

[/ QUOTE ]

Like it isn't the biggest dick move of all time for someone to be at the counter and the attendant to say, "I'm sorry sir, you'll have to purchase an additional ticket because you're overweight." WTF HOW DO YOU NOT SEE THIS

[/ QUOTE ]

How is it more "moral" to ignore the size of the passenger and make the passengers around them more uncomfortable than normal as a result?