Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2006, 02:14 PM

Default Sklansky article on PLO in 2+2 internet magazine

I found its content interesting and somewhat surprising. What do you think of it? Omaha fold

[ QUOTE ]
The second scenario occurred in a pot-limit Omaha game where the blinds were $25 and $25. I was in the first blind with:

A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

a pretty good hand in most situations.

I had $8,000 in front of me, as did my two relevant opponents, both of whom played very well. Four players folded and the next guy brought it in for $100. It was folded to me and I called for $75 more. The player in the big blind made it $400. The first raiser called. What should I do?

My problem lay in the stack sizes. If I had much less money in front of me (or they did) I would simply move all-in. But I couldn't do that. The most I could raise was $1,200. And I would be pretty much giving my hand away to two excellent players who had position on me and $6,800 more to beat me out of. I would also be inviting a reraise if someone else had the other two aces, undoubtedly with better sidecards. So reraising can't be right. What about calling?

My problem here is that few flops without an ace allow me to play on out of position. So the question becomes whether it is worth calling $300 more mainly in hopes of flopping a set of aces. My implied odds are well above the 8-to-1 or so typically needed if I knew I could get a lot of someone's stack if I hit. But that was not likely against these guys. Furthermore I was not 8-to-1 to flop a set. The big blind would have aces with me much of the time. Therefore, this is an easy fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure, given by the reaction they have to many posts on this forum, that the posters in HSNL would rip Sklansky a new one here. It's not a fold I would make but whatever.

Discuss.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:33 PM

Default Re: Sklansky article on PLO in 2+2 internet magazine

I like the fold. His explanation is very good.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:36 PM

That deep I think it's a good fold as well. Those aces are about as ugly as you can get, and I would agree it's likely the other player has aces as well, so you are often throwing away money with a call, and not getting paid enough when you hit
Old 08-13-2006, 03:34 PM

Anyone who thinks Sklansky is foolish to fold here knows next to nothing about PLO. I'm not sure if I would make the fold everytime, but this is about as bad as you can be with "the nuts" and would seriously consider folding.

I've rarely folded AAxx perflop in PLO, but I have done it in situations similar to this (worse actually - I wasn't closing the action) and I've been correct to do it every time.
Old 08-13-2006, 03:40 PM

call, check the flop, and bluff the BB off a split pot on the turn.
Old 08-13-2006, 03:48 PM

This is fine if it is heads up, but here we would be taking a flop 3 way and I don't think calling with the intention of bluffing is very good here
Old 08-13-2006, 04:17 PM

I asked Rolf about this hand - he pointed out there is a mistake in Sklansky's calculation that makes it much closer between a reraise and a fold.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I asked Rolf about this hand - he pointed out there is a mistake in Sklansky's calculation that makes it much closer between a reraise and a fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

So....why dont you share that with us?
Old 08-13-2006, 04:45 PM

Possibly he means that Sklansky will have 6400 left after the flop if he reraises, not 6800. But in any case if you like to fold aces this is an excellent spot to do it. Bluff will claim you should pass to the first raise.
Old 08-13-2006, 05:36 PM

Ask Ace