Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2006, 08:52 AM

Default all in with suited connectors preflop

Im gonna preface this by saying that Im somewhat new to PLO.

My question is: how many players do you need all in (or committed to the pot) before youll push in with a hand like 6789ds with a big stack? Also, how eager should I be to get it all in with sort of hand preflop in general?

It looks like this hand isnt that much of a dog to AAxx, even with one of the suits dominated. Against two or more hands it looks like it will generally show a profit.

Given this, should I be trying to get all my money in with this hand preflop/ narrow the field? It seems like this hand doesnt actually play that well post flop, since my flush and straight draws can be dominated. I know that shoving this sort of hand is just going to increase my variance a ton, but if I cared about that I guess id be playing a different game.

Heres the hand that prompted this.
http://www.pokerhand.org/?452816
Old 08-13-2006, 09:14 AM

Default Re: all in with suited connectors preflop

you can never really fold a hand like this in this situation, once you have some money in there you will always be getting the right price to keep putting more in. So you played that hand fine, but it would be more profitable if you got to play it in position for a single raise.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:10 PM

The problems with that line of thinking are:
Although you are not much of a dog to AA, you are still a dog.
When you are priced into a pot, you shouldn't be afraid to push, but it is better to not be in a hand at all then to be priced into a hand where you are a slight dog.

Muti-way, facing multiple pushes, you may be getting slight odds, but just as often you will not be.

You could make a compelling case that this style of thinking does lead to more fun though.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:54 PM

When I ran all 4 hands, I was actually beating the AATT by 2.3% (32.5% to 30.2%).

As far as being a dog to AAxx, I realize that I am (often) a dog here, and so I shouldnt be in a hurry to get my money in with this hand heads up, but you also need to consider the fold equity I get against hands other than AAxx.