Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2006, 09:12 PM

Default Pocket 8\'s poorly played?

micro .25/.50
UTG is weak passive calling station. UTG+2 is a strange one, passive caller PF, weak aggressive postflop.

Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

UTG calls, 1 fold, UTG+2 calls, 1 fold, Hero raises, MP1 calls, 1 fold, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls.

Tried an iso-raise

Flop: (9.5 sb, 4 players)

3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

UTG checks, UTG+2 bets, Hero calls, MP1 folds, UTG+2 calls

Since UTG+2 is known to be very loose agr here, I figured I easily had the pot odds to call. In hindsight, a raise might've been better here.

Turn6.25bb)
7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

UTG checks, UTG+2 checks, Hero checks

Bit of a scare card. Now the only hands I beat is someone who paired with the 3, or just high card. I checked it through. I'm thinking perhaps I should have value bet this. Even UTG would bet with a set and UTG+2 very possibly has nothing but high card since he didn't even try to show typical aggression here.

River (6.25BB)

3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

UTG checks, UTG+2 checks, hero bets, utg calls, utg+2 folds.

Now somewhat regretful and wondering if I should've value bet the turn, I do one here when it's checked to me. The 3 is a scare card too, The only hands I beat now are high card, or a missed flush draw, but again, I think UTG would've bet a set instead of risking having it checked through especially since I did not show aggression earlier.
Thoughts?
Old 08-12-2006, 09:17 PM

Default Re: Pocket 8\'s poorly played?

fold flop...............main reason being, they probably have an ace
Old 08-12-2006, 09:22 PM

4 players to the flop, I probably fold.

If there were fewer players + you had a read that UTG+2 is over aggro I would raise.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:58 PM

I agree with the others to fold the flop, but it's not that big of deal.

I would just check the river. They'll never fold a better hand and I can't think of many worse hands that will call.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:03 PM

If you were going to check the turn as last to act then you should have folded after the flop.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:26 PM

*grunch*

Preflop raise looks good. Once donked on the flop, though, you should be pretty quick to fold this board. With four players you were really hoping to hit a set. If the bettor doesn't have aces, one of the callers does. You don't have pot odds to call.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:53 AM

Hmm... I think I didn't describe UTG+2 very well. He's the donkbetter. He plays 70% of his hands pf, and you can expect him to bet every flop whether or not he has a hand or is in or out of position. I mean, the last hand, when I hadn't seen his play style much, he donkbet my pf raise on the AQ4 rainbow flop, then continued to bet/call every street until river, and it turned out all his pocket cards were 68s. I put almost no credit into his flop bets, unless it's a raise or 3 bet.

UTG was the one I was slightly worried about, he's tight passive, but he didn't bet. MP1 is also extremely loose.

Anyway, after the donk bettor folded to my bet on the river, UTG(the calling station), called me and it turned out he had KQo for a missed runner runner straight/flush draw.
Old 08-13-2006, 03:10 PM

The problem I find with a maniac at the table is they throw lots of people off their game, and several people make loose calls hoping their crap improves more then his crap. Unless you can isolate you can’t forget the two other people here.

.25/.50 means to me someone is always playing an ace, so I fold that flop too. Turn check-thru can mean that ace-deuce is worried 2nd pair just made trips.

To bet the river you need a very good read to bet into 3 people, I don’t do it here. If it’s HU with the maniac then I call if I read him for a busted hand (but since he plays anything I usually can’t read what he has anyway).
Old 08-13-2006, 03:19 PM

If he's really that random aggressive postflop I'd go for the raise on the flop and the bet on the turn. I think you're also committed to a showdown if you decide to keep going unless the betting gets out of hand (i.e. UTG wakes up).

I'd probably then check behind on that river because the only hands that might call you are random suited connectors and high cards that are now playing the board.
Old 08-13-2006, 03:21 PM

Just to make this clear, 88 can win 4 handed quite a bit without improving to the set and that's why he raised preflop.