Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2006, 08:09 PM

Default 6-max Pocket Pair Strategy, Is This Viable?

Say you are playing SSNL 6max and you have 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] on the button against a typical TAG with stats of 25/15/3.00+ who raised from the cutoff position first in. Since you are playing against a TAG, assume stack sizes are full. You call the raise and the flop is A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Your opponent correctly makes a continuation bet and you have a decision to make. I would normally fold here, but I want to become less of a weaktight poker player so I thought I might want to change that. What do I do?

The opponent has stats of 25/15/3.00+, so obviously his raising range is very high. From the cutoff he could have raised anything from Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] to A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] to 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Assuming he raised without a pocket pair, he pairs the flop 33% of the time. If he did raise with a pocket pair, he is behind any Ace, since A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] flopped. I don't know the statistics for the percentage of time you get dealt a pocket pair, but if you add up that probability with the probability that he raised with something like K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], chances are your raise on the flop will cause him to give up.

The dilemma is: how much do you bet? Obviously a minraise is out of the question, even though TAG players know that a minraise usually means trouble. A pot-sized raise might be a bit much, considering our opponent is likely to fold if he missed and call or raise you if he hit.

If you make this play often, would you get more action when you actually flop a set? Also, what about being out of position? Should you check-raise? If he gives you any action at all after the raise that would definately be a good time to fold...

So what do you think? Should that aggressive stance be taken with a pocket pair? Obviously doing that play all of the time with any 2 cards will cause suspicion and you they'll figure you out, but pocket pairs are rare enough that you can make rarely done plays with them.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:11 PM

Default Re: 6-max Pocket Pair Strategy, Is This Viable?

This isnt the time to shed your weak tightness. Getting fancy and constantly bluff raising TAG's is stupid.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:12 PM

I'd recommend floating more often than raising. And its not even a real float since we have the best hand most of the time.

Most tags are pretty predictable, and will check fold most of the time without a strong hand.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:19 PM

Reraise preflop. 88 is almost a monster in this spot. Don't be afraid to play big reraised pots with mid PPs in 6-max.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:20 PM

So just a call will do? A call will allow hands like KQ to catch up, so even if he checks down to the river after he fears your call, you will get beaten by higher pocket pairs and occasionally by completed KQ-JTs pair draws. You are saying maybe the "float" should be done on the turn instead?
Old 08-12-2006, 08:21 PM

IF he has kq he only has 6 outs, and he is usually giving up after your flop call even if he hits one of his outs.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Reraise preflop. 88 is almost a monster in this spot. Don't be afraid to play big reraised pots with mid PPs in 6-max.

[/ QUOTE ]

I kind of like the sound of that better, especially in position. Reraises in NL usually mean AA or KK anyway, so why not represent?