Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2006, 12:54 PM

Default Does not turn on?

This is something I have never encountered. Yesterday I was playing on my brother's computer. He has a video card that you can turn up the manual settings on the fan. I turned it up to 100% and played Far Cry. I accidently left the computer on overnight with the settings on. I go to look at it today, and the computer is off and STAYS off. Pusing the power button does not turn on the computer. This is totally not cool. Can somebody give me some advice on what could have happened and any possible remedies?
Old 08-12-2006, 01:13 PM

Default Re: Does not turn on?

What happened: the fan left on high burned out and you fried his computer when it then got overheated.

Remedy: you buy him a new computer.

2 Outer: just the power supply went out and replacing that will solve the problem.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:19 PM

Video card fan, not CPU fan. If the video card fan burned out, should that still make it so that the computer does not turn on?
Old 08-12-2006, 04:52 PM

If you can turn the fan off then it usually means that the system can run fanless at light load. The fan should not normally burn out at 100% on as that is what they are meant to run at. Also most Video cards and CPU's automatically shut down if they get too hot before frying but there is no guarantee. After they cool down they work again.

I see no reason, based on you description that you did anything wrong. You may have pushed a system that was getting ready to die anyway. (Try convincing your brother though.)

You or someone who is knowledgable will have to diagnose the problem. Leaving a fan on 100% on a healthy. properly designed system should not cause a problem.

I know how it feels when the computer dies after you are using it but there is no reason yet (based on your post) to believe it was your fault. If your brother drove your car on the freeway and the next morning the car was dead would it be his fault?
Old 08-12-2006, 07:54 PM

Most likely the power supply, check the fuses first, most power supplies have a fuse.

Also could be fried video card, try replacing it with a different one if you happen to have one.

worst case ... motherboard [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-13-2006, 12:39 AM

Nice reply. I am myself baffled. I do not see any reason why it should not be working. When the computer is left on for a while, it usually goes on standby. The only thing that came to my mind was that I left the video card fan on at 100% and forgot to turn it off. This my be an instance of correlation versus causation. I am usually pretty decent with computers, but this is something I have never had to deal with before, so I am left baffled. I've had some funky stuff happen before, but the computer not turn on at all?

Anyways, thanks for your help. I'll see if it is the PSU sometime tomorrow. The PSU itself is relatively new; it is only four months old or so.
Old 08-13-2006, 05:00 AM

Not clear what you are saying. Is the system completely dead? Any beeps after POST? Or never completeing startup? Or ?

If the computer goes into standby after a certain amount of inactivity check Control Panel-->power options.

For example I set up my system to go into standby after 10 minutes of non-activity.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:00 PM

The computer did not do anything after pushing the power button. I replaced the PSU out with an older one, and it started up. The PSU itself was only about 4 months old, but it was a cheap $20 one. Anyways, thanks for everybody's help. My bro will go buy another one whenever and we'll replace it out.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:22 PM

That's usually what it'll turn out to be. If nothing at all comes on when you turn a PC's power on, it'll almost always be either the power supply or the motherboard. A PC should still power up (but not necessarily POST) with a dead CPU, memory, drives, video card, etc. *Sometimes* a loose PCI card or something will cause this, but it's pretty rare.