Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2006, 10:58 AM

Default Gold CNN Interview

I'm not sure if its available online. I hope it will be available online.

Jamie Gold was just interviewed. However, it was interrupted midway by a Breaking News. But before the interruption he admitted that "table talk" was the main part of his strategy. I think that those people that criticized Gold's table banter (especially those about hand comments) would be helping themselves if they learned how to make such a strategy effective. I hope DVDs would be available once the hole cards are made available.

He is a very good interviewee and a good guy. I'm sure he will be a good ambassador.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:06 AM

Default Re: Gold CNN Interview

The hisbola breaking news just finished and they were able to continue interviewing Gold. The second half of the interview was just about his Dad and how much he loved him and even though he was not with him at the WSOP (his Dad suffers from some kind of breathing disorder) that he was nevertheless with him in spirit.

He also talked about blueberries are brain food that also does not cause stomach problems, how important it is to stay focused for 8 days 14 hours per day. He plugged his company BuzzNation.

My read is that he wasn't that rich before winning the main event. I make this read based on his comment that now that he has won this money he now can help his Dad with medical bills. I thought he would be super rich being a Hollywood agent to at least a dozen stars.

He considers D Negreanu the best poker player in the world and was happy he survived him in one of the days.

That's about it. The main thing is that he admitted that the table talk was deliberate and had the purpose of influence.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure he will be a good ambassador.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which he explicitly does not want to be.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you see the post-game interview? I think he's kind of reconsidered his feelings on this, man.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you see the post-game interview? I think he's kind of reconsidered his feelings on this, man.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or that his initial comments about NOT wanting to be an ambassador for the game were part of his meta-game strategy, and he wanted to win all along.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:19 AM

Even if he does not want to be he will be. Being a good and smart guy, each time he will be interviewed he will be coming out as likeable.

Now in reference to his pre-final table comment about not wanting to win it, my GUESS is that it was part of his "table talk". He expressly said in the interview (paraphrased): "My strategy for this tournament was to use table talk to make my opponents do what I wanted them to do". Notice he didn't say "one of my strategies". Nor did he say "my MAIN strategy". He specifically said "my strategy" (singular).

Maybe some future interviewer might ask him why he really made those pre-Final table comments.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:31 AM

Having said this, a great listener of voice tonality and words (like Hellmuth or Slim) would probably own Gold heads up.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My read is that he wasn't that rich before winning the main event. I make this read based on his comment that now that he has won this money he now can help his Dad with medical bills. I thought he would be super rich being a Hollywood agent to at least a dozen stars.

[/ QUOTE ]
There is often a difference between having a big salary and being wealthy. Many people with big salaries also have expensive lifestyles and do a poor job of accumulating wealth.

Another possibility is that Gold had a net worth before the WSOP of, say, $2M. That would put him in the top 90-95% of net worth in the US and by any definition would be considered wealthy. Yet the $2M net worth might not be enough to help his dad beyond what health insurance is already doing. And his dad may not want to bankrupt his son's future.

The $12M prize from the WSOP and the probable $10M+ from endorsements puts him in entirely different category. Now he is much more capable of supporting any of his dad's needs almost without consideration of expense.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Another possibility is that Gold had a net worth before the WSOP of, say, $2M. That would put him in the top 90-95% of net worth in the US and by any definition would be considered wealthy. Yet the $2M net worth might not be enough to help his dad beyond what health insurance is already doing. And his dad may not want to bankrupt his son's future.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah $2M is hardly enough money to buy a cup of coffee or a gallon of gas in LA.

FWIW, I think he is going to make a fine champion.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:12 PM

I am no fan of players who resort to constant table chatter as "strategy" but I don't hate them for it. There's no rules against it. I believe what annoys most people is when someone on a serious heater credits their "psychology" with their success. It is doubly annoying when even after the fact they dis their opposition as in this CardPlayer exit interview:

Q: What has been the biggest factor in this momentous run for you this year?

JG: I think I'm um.. because um.. I'm playing against the other players while they're trying to play their cards. uh.. I sit down at every table with the same strategy. I wanna find out how they're playing, and then I wanna figure out how to beat 'em, whereas they're just trying to figure out how to get the best cards, and, and get their money in there, so sooner or later I seem to be able to trick most of them, um.. into giving me all their money.