Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2006, 10:36 AM

Default Trouble extrating value from a floped set(PS 1$ 45 players)

It seems that lately when I have flopped a set the board either has a st8 draw or a flush draw. So I push to collect the pot. Am I more scared than I should be?

Here's an example hand. I read the 20 dollar bet on the turn as either a probe bet or a blocking bet to see the river card cheap. So I pushed to take the pot. What do you guys do when you flop a set on a scary board?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)

UTG+1 (t1360)
MP1 (t1070)
MP2 (t3290)
MP3 (t2300)
CO (t1750)
Hero (t1470)
SB (t1380)
BB (t1180)
UTG (t1530)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q, Q.
UTG calls t20, [color=#666666]1 fold</font>, MP1 calls t20, [color=#666666]1 fold</font>, MP3 calls t20, CO calls t20, [color=#CC3333]Hero raises to t300</font>, [color=#666666]2 folds</font>, UTG folds, MP1 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls t280.

Flop: (t690) J, 2, Q [color=#0000FF](2 players)</font>
CO checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (t690) 4 [color=#0000FF](2 players)</font>
[color=#CC3333]CO bets t20</font>, [color=#CC3333]Hero raises to t500</font>, CO folds.

Final Pot: t1210
Old 08-12-2006, 10:59 AM

Default Re: Trouble extrating value from a floped set(PS 1$ 45 players)

looks like he was ebtting just to see if you'd fold, if you took your time about calling, he might bet the river, but he's gonna fold to pretty much anything you bet here.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:15 AM

bet the flop
Old 08-12-2006, 11:57 AM

Bet 350 on the flop...if you make cbets all the time it won't mean anything except you raised PF and you're betting now (and AK is a big part of your range, which whiffed the flop), so there's a decent chance he'll call (if you don't regularly make cbets, you should...) On the turn...I mean the hand is pretty butchered already, but a raise to t300 is better than the one you made.

Also, if you cbet your raises when you miss, and then check and try to slowplay when you hit...it's pretty easy to read by anyone paying attention. Need to bet when you hit to disguise the play.
Old 08-12-2006, 01:15 PM

Bet the flop. In low limits, slowplaying is almost useless. The players at these limits make the HUGE mistake of playing too many hands and playing them on towards the later streets. You will get called on the flop by any Q, J, some 2's, pp's, and draws. Bet your good hands every time, you will fold people out sometimes, but you will make more money in the long run.
Old 08-12-2006, 01:40 PM

The board you show and the opening scenario described are far from alike. It's doubtful that anyone is calling with KT preflop to have the OESD on the flop. It's doubtful that anyone is playing for a flush draw after the flop and preflop play.

You're preflop play sort of tells the table that you have a hand, although that's no guarantee that foolish opponents will interpret it.

You're really hoping for an Ace or King to come, to hopefully make someone think they have top pair and it is ahead. Unfortunately it didn't come.

In this particular case, I think you overplayed the turn by a huge amount. You're so far ahead, that you can't raise so much that it totally kills off the opponent's odds. You have to make them believe you are bluffing, or at least give them a chance to make a mistake.

I would check this to the river (call the little turn bet) and hope that the river catches the opponent with a direct hit (probably a third Jack). If that happens, you'll get all the action you want on the river.

How to play the flopped sets is a function of the opponents and the board (stating the obvious I know). In this case, your hand is almost too good, and definitely seems to meet the criteria for a slowplay all the way.

Sometimes you just can't get a lot of chips out of a monster. The important thing is to not look for the big kill unless the opportunity presents itself. If it doesn't (as in this case), then you almost have to keep the opponent in to the river and give him a chance to bluff on the end. Your raise obviously spooked the target instead of trying to trick him.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:15 PM

I guess part of it is, I need to give my opponent the chance to make the second best hand. If that means sometimes i get out drawn thats ok because the times that I get the chips will make up for it.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess part of it is, I need to give my opponent the chance to make the second best hand. If that means sometimes i get out drawn thats ok because the times that I get the chips will make up for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he donks himself into a flush or straight on the river then thats so bad luck, but your definatly not looking to push him out for fear of it. I had a big problem with this early last month where I was betting so much being scared of draws people were folding their 2-5 outters as well and leaving me collecting way to many blinds and not enough real pots with my good hands that it was hard to play.
Old 08-12-2006, 04:39 PM

Better players are always going to get drawn out on by worse players once in a while. The point is to play so as to make sure they are making mistakes the whole way. When they make mistakes, you win over the long run. Here the OP telegraphed strength the whole way allowing opponents to play correctly. THE BEST HAND LOST!!!