Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2006, 09:04 PM

Default 88, check to take free turn card or bet to see where I am?

Dealt 88 in MP3

Pre flop
I raise after 3 limpers to see where I am and to knock some of them out, all 3 call.

Flop
It's checked round to me, so I fire in around 1/2 pot; again to see where I am, ready to fold to any sign of pressure. I get raised and gladly muck.

Nothing very exciting but should I have checked behind to get my free turn card? If I did make my set I would then be able to stack off anyone c/r the flop with TPTP or slowplaying 2 pair. Obviously if I didn't hit on the turn I would be done with the hand and check/fold to showdown.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP2 (t1890)
Hero (t2400)
CO (t2325)
Button (t1135)
SB (t1440)
BB (t845)
UTG (t1205)
UTG+1 (t1575)
MP1 (t1005)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls t30, UTG+1 calls t30, MP1 calls t30, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t120</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, UTG calls t90, UTG+1 calls t90, MP1 calls t90.

Flop: (t525) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t240</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t1085</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t1850
Old 08-11-2006, 09:28 PM

Default Re: 88, check to take free turn card or bet to see where I am?

they all called cause you didnt raise near enough.

and in a 4 way pot and a flop like that is not good to c-bet
Old 08-11-2006, 09:31 PM

Call pre-flop

Check and fold from now unless miracle 8 is dealt
Old 08-11-2006, 09:36 PM

If you're going to raise a hand like this early in a MTT, you really, really want to discourage callers. A raise to 4xbb after several limpers only bloats a pot that is most likely going to be a check-fold if you miss your set.

Also, as played, what on earth do you hope your bet accomplishes? What do you think they called your preflop raise with? That flop likely hit several people reasonably hard, and you're asking to be check-raised. Cut your losses and check/fold unless you hit your 8 (even the 8c might not be good).
Old 08-11-2006, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're going to raise a hand like this early in a MTT, you really, really want to discourage callers. A raise to 4xbb after several limpers only bloats a pot that is most likely going to be a check-fold if you miss your set.

Also, as played, what on earth do you hope your bet accomplishes? What do you think they called your preflop raise with? That flop likely hit several people reasonably hard, and you're asking to be check-raised. Cut your losses and check/fold unless you hit your 8 (even the 8c might not be good).

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair points, as i recall 2 out of the 3 limpers had limp folded a couple of times already although it was still early. So I hoped to be heads up on the flop.
But then that does make my flop bet even worse as they did call a raise preflop this time, so showing more strength.

The flop bet was to find out if their checks were due to weak or strong hands, so it did accomplish that but it also cost me chips I didn't need to waste.

Live and learn [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 08-11-2006, 10:15 PM

The raise preflop is horrible. Think of it this way. If you're going to raise, raise to about 200. If you get one caller, the pot is about the same, or might be smaller, and you'll eliminate the implicit collusion between your other three opponents.

Your cbet will be smaller, saving you chips, and you might even be able to take down the pot. So the bigger preflop raise creates the same size pot, but gives you a greater chance of winning the pot.

Personally though, I like flat calling here preflop to try and hit a set (and check behind on flop).
Old 08-11-2006, 10:36 PM

Flat-call preflop. Check behind on the flop. Even if you DO hit your 8 on the turn - one of them is a club, and neither one prevents JT from beating you inless you fill up on the river).

This is a VERY bad flop when you raise got called by 3 players... Take every opportunity to get to a FREE showdown, or at least a very cheap one.