Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2006, 05:34 PM

Default AK: Time to fold top pair on the turn?

Playing at Canterbury Park earlier today, and while it was a good session in the black one hand bugged me. Actually, 2, but this one in particular. $2/$4 is the game.

Three-way pot, I'm in between two players. One is quite a fish, playing nearly anything; he is BB. The other a 50-something guy, mostly conservative playing well, is in middle position, and I'm in late.

Pre-flop: conservative player raises, I make it six to go, donkey cold-calls.

Flop: A-x-x, two hearts, no straight draws. Donkey checks (?), conservative player bets, I raise, Mr. Donkey cold-calls; conservative player calls.

Turn: Jack, brining possible flush. Conservative player bets, I call (probably should raise here for an information raise? I have no heart draw) and the fish raises. Conservative player calls. Here is where I think I screwed up, and should have folded.

River brings no four-flush to the board; conservative player and I check to the fish, who bets; we call, and he flips over AJ.

I can't fault him too much for cold-calling with the BB with AJ; it's questionable at best, but he made many other horrible plays during the session. (I asked the conservative player to see his hand at the showdown too, and he also had AK flopping top pair).

So, I think this is a fold here on the turn as I've got no re-draw and at SSHE you always want to look for warning signs that you are sunk and cut your losses, and punish the donkeys when they miss not pay them off. I would have guessed flush myself not AJ, as this guy would certianly call with two suited cards for two SB.

Sound good or too tight?
Paul
Old 08-11-2006, 10:11 PM

Default Re: AK: Time to fold top pair on the turn?

the nice thing about passive fish are that you know when they have a good hand------THEY BET OR RAISE---

when they check raise 2 opponent on a bb round id lay down anything less that two pair. but hey thats just me he could just called right. he obviously was lookin for more money to be honest i wouldnt have been surpriswed to see him flop the 2p since donks will call 2 cold with any ace
Old 08-11-2006, 10:45 PM

Calling the turn is fine in this spot, especially if your A or K is a heart. The river I can probably find a fold since you are overcalling a fishes bet and a conservative player's call. One of them should have two pair or a flush.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:43 PM

You just say BB is a donkey and plays nearly everything. A more important read in this hand is how aggressive was he post flop and how often do you see him bluff?

If he was pretty passive post flop I would consider folding to the turn c/r if you don't have a flush re-draw since the board flushed and he c/r'd a PFR and a PF 3-better on a big street.