Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2006, 03:56 PM

Default Thoughts on Cunningham\'s fold to Wasicka

I have been engaged in a heated argument over Cunningham's fold to Wasicka. The argument is over the merits of Cunningham's fold. I am curious how others saw it.

Given:
Cunningham is a world class player, who was either playing poorly, off his game, or didn't get the cards for the strategy he was attempting to implement.

Assumed:
Cunningham's strategy was to not gamble. He considered himself to be the best player at the table who could outplay his opponents over time.

The other players were aware of this strategy and adjusted accordingly by attacking Cunningham and making him make a decision for his chips. Cunningham repeatedly folded.

Both side agree that Cunningham never adjusted to this and was outplayed. Cunningham needed to take a stand at some point.

CardPlayers description:
187. Allen Cunningham raises to $800,000 from under the gun, Jamie Gold calls from the small blind and Paul Wasicka calls from the big blind. They all check a flop of A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and the turn is the A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Gold checks and Wasicka bets $1,000,000. Cunningham raises to $3,975,000 and Gold mucks. Wasicka moves all in and Cunningham folds his hand.

The question is: should Cunningham have called? If as he claimed to have pocket 10s one of which was the 10heart.

As I mentioned he folded.

Wasicka showed K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] for the bluff as he rakes the pot.

I will save my opinion for now.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:59 PM

Default Re: Thoughts on Cunningham\'s fold to Wasicka

How much more was it to AC? I would say check-raising and planning on folding to a push is much worse than check-calling.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:00 PM

I hadn't seen anything up to this point to suggest Wasicka was capable of that kind of bluff. I don't see how Cunningham can call with TT.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:03 PM

how can he call off his chips here? There's no reason to put Wasicka on a pure bluff, and there's a good chance hes drawing to two outs, or even dead.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:03 PM

he said after the hand, "i was hoping to get you to lay down a jack". maybe he just put Paul on a hand and never got away from it? it's possible he put him on a jack with a higher heart than T and that he was super thin. not the way the best player wants to get his money in. tough hand...was painful to watch.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:16 PM

How much was AC left with after folding?
Old 08-11-2006, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How much was AC left with after folding?

[/ QUOTE ]

Around 6-7 million chips I think.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:18 PM

There's a pretty easy solution do this discussion... try answering it asked this way:

Hero (UTG)is delt 10s 10h

Pre-Flop
Hero raises to $800,000 from under the gun, folds to, SB calls, BB calls. Jamie Gold calls from the small blind and Paul Wasicka calls from the big blind.

Flop - Ah Jh 9h
3 checks

Turn - Ac

SB checks, BB bets $1,000,000, Hero raises to $3,975,000, SB folds, BB goes all-in, Hero...

What's your play?

Old 08-11-2006, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's a pretty easy solution do this discussion... try answering it asked this way:

Hero (UTG)is delt 10s 10h

Pre-Flop
Hero raises to $800,000 from under the gun, folds to, SB calls, BB calls. Jamie Gold calls from the small blind and Paul Wasicka calls from the big blind.

Flop - Ah Jh 9h
3 checks

Turn - Ac

SB checks, BB bets $1,000,000, Hero raises to $3,975,000, SB folds, BB goes all-in, Hero...

What's your play?

[/ QUOTE ]
Was this really necessary? So what's the easy solution you mentioned?
Old 08-11-2006, 04:31 PM

Well, unless there's a 100% chance that BB is on a pure bluff, chances are he has you beat. Without results, this is pretty much a clear fold IMO.