Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2006, 11:49 AM

Default dealers keeping their own tokes in Chicago area rooms?

A couple of weeks ago, I was donking it up at the $3/$6 game at Majestic Star Deux, and somehow the subject of dealer tips came up at the table. (Don't ask.) Whenever this happens when a decent dealer is in the box, I always like to ask, "Hey, when are you guys going to get to keep your own tokes?" After all, the dealers in the Chicago-area rooms run the gamut from "would do quite well at Bellagio" to "would do quite well in a sideshow as 'The World's Slowest Human,'" and I think if they quit pooling tokes that the market would sort this out rather quickly.

To my surprise, this particular dealer says, "It's coming. It's just a matter of when, not if." Now, this dealer is excited, because he thinks (correctly, IMO) that this will improve his bottom line. The dealer I'm talking about is pretty good, a middle-aged white guy, which should be enough to nail it down for regulars.

Has anyone else heard about this? Is this above the level of one dealer's fantasy? Is Resorts doing the same thing?
Old 08-11-2006, 11:56 AM

Default Re: dealers keeping their own tokes in Chicago area rooms?

i think resorts is doing it before majestic star ii. iirc, resorts dealers will start keeping their own tips on aug 26
Old 08-11-2006, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think resorts is doing it before majestic star ii. iirc, resorts dealers will start keeping their own tips on aug 26

[/ QUOTE ]
That would be good news. What evidence do you have so far? For example, are their posted signs in the room? Have the floor people told you? Have the dealers told you? Any specific news about Majestic Star?
Old 08-12-2006, 07:56 AM

I heard something about six months about Indiana passing a law allowing dealers to keep tips.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That would be good news. What evidence do you have so far? For example, are their posted signs in the room? Have the floor people told you? Have the dealers told you? Any specific news about Majestic Star?

[/ QUOTE ]

This information is directly from the dealers at Resorts. I didn't ask the floor. I asked the dealers again this weekend to confirm and I was off by a day. Stephanie told me it's Aug 25.

And I heard the same rumor that ChicagoJoe heard about Indiana passing that law. I haven't been motivated enough to verify.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:33 PM

From what I heard at the tables at Resorts:

About 6 months ago, the gaming board approved dealers keeping their own tips. After that, the Resorts dealers had a vote in which they voted to keep their own tips. However, it took a long time since then to have the infrastructure to support that change. It sounds like they finally have that in place, from the posts on here.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This information is directly from the dealers at Resorts... Stephanie told me it's Aug 25... And I heard the same rumor that ChicagoJoe heard about Indiana passing that law.

[/ QUOTE ]
Fair enough. Thanks for the information, everybody. Now, I just have to sit back and hope that economics sorts out some of our dealer quality issues.