Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2006, 10:40 AM

Default (NL25) AA OOP with 200BB Effective stack size.

Villain and I have some history. My 3rd hand at the table I play a hand with villain in which I have KJ and flop comes JJ8. I lead he minraises I push. He draws out on the turn hitting a 5 to give him jacks full of fives and I muck. I reload and proceed to build my stack by playing aggressively. However, I'm showing down strong hands like a set, but stealing pots with junk with no show down. Villain is calling light when I raise (probably wants more of my money) but we haven't tangled in any other hands till this one comes up.

At the time of this hand I had been at the table for about ~80 hands. The best way to describe villain is loose passive. For those that like PT stats he was 49/1.3/.66. However he's somewhat odd, because even though his preflop raise percentage is low the hands he was seen raising with were far from premium. He was seen open minraising an Ax suited UTG. The pot's he's one (other than the one described above) usually involve him calling down with something marginal and improving over someone elses hand. Another thing to note is that even though he's loose passive his WTSD percentage was not as high as you'd expect. I think it was about 25%. So he can fold some hands.

At the time of this hand I'm 34/12/2.5. Villain is 49/1.3/.66

NL 25 full ring 9 handed.

Villain - $58
Hero - $68

Hero is in MP and dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

Weak shorty UTG raises to .75. Folds to me and I reraise to $3.75. Folds to to Villain on the button who flat calls. Folds back around to UTG who folds.

Fop comes KKT with two [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Pot is about $8.50. I lead for $6.25 hoping for a call, but fearing a raise. villain insta minraises. I think for my full allotted time and fold.

Based on what I had seen of villain, I didn't think he'd make this raise with AT, or just a flush draw. I also think he calls down QQ, JJ based on his passive nature and the strength I've shown preflop(I don't think I had reraised at all pf this session).

I think some people might call the flop minraise but I felt that anything this passive player raises on the flop(since i don't think he's raising a pure draw) is something he's willing to bet or call with on the turn. So this probably won't narrow down his range any further, and my hand is unlikely to improve much on the turn. I felt I had all the info I needed to make a fold. Additionally we're deep, the pot is growing and I'm OOP. I'm not comfortable playing a huge pot here with a single pair against a typically passive opponent who's showing some aggression.

So I'd like to hear some thoughts on the fold.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:49 AM

Default Re: (NL25) AA OOP with 200BB Effective stack size.

I think the PFR should be $3, and that $3.75 is too much
Old 08-11-2006, 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The table as a whole was pretty loose with some of the looser players behind me. UTG raiser was a donk and I wanted to get him heads up since he'd likely push any flop with JJ+.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That a nit.

OP,

I think this is standard against this type of villain as you described him. Hes not raising with anything you beat according to your read.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:07 AM

fair enough