Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2006, 04:11 AM

Default 10k to invest

I want to start putting away a % of my BR.

I'd like to start with 10k.

I'm pretty much clueless as to whats the best place to put my money. What is good for me to invest in, looking shorter term, like around a year.

Should I get into the stock market? Is that a bad idea for someone not wanting to have a lot of risk?

Give me some ideas.

Thanks.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:03 AM

Default Re: 10k to invest

You want to invest this for only one year? In that case I'd recommend opening up a Emigrant/
Citibank/HSBC savings account and just keep your money in there - the rate is at a guarenteed 5.15% right now I believe. CD's and bonds would be other options. You don't want to invest in the stock market in this case.

If you're looking more long-term then I would recommend index funds. Maybe a Target Retirement one that basically does the asset allocation for you.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:58 PM

real estate funds 5-10% return. 3,6, 12 month + programs
Old 08-25-2006, 01:11 PM

Can you elaborate on what you are talking about Jake? Are you referring to REITs? What do 3, 6, 12 month programs have to do with REITs?

Max
Old 08-26-2006, 04:46 AM

no i am not talking about REITs i am talking about Hard Money lending on real estate. I am hooked up with a loan broker and real estate broker that pays 5-10% APR on money. It is super low risk, it is secured against real estate with a deed of trust and promissory note. So you are guaranteed returns. if anything ever did go wrong you get a house. which i actually hope happens cause i will take a house for cheap.

They set up the loans for short term to long term depending on your goal. 3 months, 6 months, a year. etc. I even heard a couple of 2+2ers are starting to do it. better returns than a CD more secure and can be short to long term so in case you ever need to tap into your reserves to boost your BR. if you or anyone is interested i can put you in contact with them, i dont want to mention any names of 2+2ers yet cause i have not talked to them and i dont know if they want their names out there knowing they are doing it. i can see about putting you in contact with them also once i talk to them to see if it is cool.

Jake