Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2006, 02:23 AM

Default Staying Calm in Big Hands

Just wanted to get some views on how to stay cool in a huge hand. For example, flopping a monster hand, or being confident with your hand then making a bet and getting a lot of callers or an unexpected re-raise. This is mainly for my best friend. We play in all kinds of the same tournaments, and I can usually get a great idea of what he is holding in a big hand, whether or not I'm even in it. All the reads I see are physical tells, like if his pulse is pounding in his neck. I tried to tell him to just be as relaxed as you can before the hand even starts, but I really don't know what else to tell him. Basically want to make him a better player, don't really care about taking his money.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:19 AM

Default Re: Staying Calm in Big Hands

I've found that by learning to do some simple chip tricks I can focus on that rather than be nervous. You could also try to develop somekind of routine so that you're focused on completing the steps rather than having free time for your mind and body to race/go wild.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:18 PM

I like the simple chip tricks, i'll get onto that. My biggest tell are my hands shaking when I hold good in a huge pot... one noticed I was shaky and called but he thought i was shaking with fear of being called.. that worked that time but I will be screwed next time! lol..

.fs.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:57 PM

play loads of hands on the internet, then he won't get so emotional.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:37 PM

I have a friend who used to do math like long division and multiplying 3 and 4 digit numbers in his head. Don't know if that will help most people, but the guy is basically a human calculator now, so there is a potential upside.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
play loads of hands on the internet, then he won't get so emotional.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's the ticket. eventually you'll feel nothing, which makes poker less fun, but will help you cash more often when you flop huge .
Old 01-24-2006, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All the reads I see are physical tells, like if his pulse is pounding in his neck. I tried to tell him to just be as relaxed as you can before the hand even starts, but I really don't know what else to tell him. Basically want to make him a better player, don't really care about taking his money.

[/ QUOTE ]

My main poker buddy is the same way. He gets ancy (sp?) as hell when he's waiting for someone to act and he's got it big.

Funny you should mention the neck thing. I was in a huge pot with a buddy of mine who 5 bet me off the flop. I stared him down and noticed the pulse in his neck, dismissed it and folded. He had garbage. Go figure.

Chip tricks will probably work well to calm the nerves. Gotta try it myself.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:43 PM

Just make sure you get just as excited when you're bluffing as when you've got the goods.

Actually, I hope to get some good advice here too... For some reason, almost regardless of the stakes, my first couple hands of a live game I'm shaking like hell, no matter what I've got. Happens in online tournaments too, but never cash games. After a couple minutes, I chill out.

It's really pretty hilarious to think about: I can stick hundreds into o a pot without flinching online, but my heart starts racing the first few times I get into a pot playing like, a $0.25/$0.50 homegame with friends of mine heh.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:28 PM

The best idea I've heard is to think about all the ways that you could get rivered. Basically anything to make your mind focus on something other than all that sweet sweet cash. Think about a past hand, do mental math, try and remember every NFL champ since Bart Starr, think about that chick you nailed in college for which you should've got some sort of trophy...anything.

I'm luck in that I'm normally a twitchy bastard so it negates that as a tell.