Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2006, 03:25 PM

Default Excel keyboard shortcut for \"paste values?\"

Is there one? Please god let there be one.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:44 PM

Default Re: Excel keyboard shortcut for \"paste values?\"

You can always step through the menus:

Alt+E,s,v
Old 08-10-2006, 05:00 PM

or you can customize the toolbar up top so that a paste values button is there, (the icon is a clipboard with the number 12 in the middle).

To setup, go to the end of the toolbar and click on the drop down, select add/remove buttons then select customize.

In the commands tab, select edit from the left hand side, on the right side, if you scroll down, you should see the icon I was talking about above.

Now select that icon and drag and drop it to any location on your toolbar. all done.

Let me know how it turns out.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
or you can customize the toolbar up top so that a paste values button is there, (the icon is a clipboard with the number 12 in the middle).

To setup, go to the end of the toolbar and click on the drop down, select add/remove buttons then select customize.

In the commands tab, select edit from the left hand side, on the right side, if you scroll down, you should see the icon I was talking about above.

Now select that icon and drag and drop it to any location on your toolbar. all done.

Let me know how it turns out.

[/ QUOTE ]
That ain't too shabby. Thanks for the tip.
It would be sweet if ctrl + z was paste values though.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:04 PM

You can always record the actions into a macro and assign a keyboard shortcut to that macro. Just type "macro" in Excel's help to find out how.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Actually, after looking into it, you can do this when you record a macro. To have a macro to paste values upon "ctrl+z", first copy the contents of a cell so that Paste Special is not grayed out in your edit menu. Then Tools->Macro->Record New Macro->Give it a name like PasteValue, type z in the "shortcut key ctrl+ box", choose "store in personal macro workbook" then OK. Then Edit->Paste Special->Check Paste Values->OK. Then Tools->Macro->Stop Recording.

You'll be asked if you want to save your personal macro workbook when you exit Excel. Choose yes.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Actually, after looking into it, you can do this when you record a macro. To have a macro to paste values upon "ctrl+z", first copy the contents of a cell so that Paste Special is not grayed out in your edit menu. Then Tools->Macro->Record New Macro->Give it a name like PasteValue, type z in the "shortcut key ctrl+ box", choose "store in personal macro workbook" then OK. Then Edit->Paste Special->Check Paste Values->OK. Then Tools->Macro->Stop Recording.

You'll be asked if you want to save your personal macro workbook when you exit Excel. Choose yes.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hold the phone - I have recorded macros before and assigned keystrokes to them. Ctrl + z is a predefined function (undo paste i think). Will it let me override this? That would be money.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:23 PM

??? Am i missing something?

Ctl+V doesnt work?
Old 08-11-2006, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
??? Am i missing something?

Ctl+V doesnt work?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Ctrl+V pastes the contents of a cell (which may include formulas). The OP wanted to paste only the values (not the forumla)
Old 08-12-2006, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Hold the phone - I have recorded macros before and assigned keystrokes to them. Ctrl + z is a predefined function (undo paste i think). Will it let me override this? That would be money.

[/ QUOTE ]

ctrl-z is undo in nearly every program

i beleive you can unassign this in tools-customize and find the keyboard shortcuts. You may even be able to assign one for paste values right there

this is from memory, so don't hate me if i'm wrong