Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2006, 02:15 PM

Default Dave Ramsey

I've been listening to "D-Ram" for a few months now on the internet. I like a lot of the ideas he brings to the table. I wanted to know what you all thought about him?

I know he's a pretty extreme get-out-of-debt-now guy, but I like his attitude. I know many of you in this forum already have a positive net worth, so listening to Dave wouldn't be as helpful to you, as it would to someone in debt. There are some things he says that I don't agree with. (Like paying off small debts before large debts. I say pay off high interest debt first). But he talks of the psychological advantage of getting rid of a debt, so I can dig that, too.

For those of you familiar with Dave, do you prefer him over Suze Orman?

Thanks!
Old 08-10-2006, 03:47 PM

Default Re: Dave Ramsey

The important thing to remember when listening to Ramsey is that he's making generalizations addressed at people who really have no concept of managing money. I sometimes think he closet-disagrees with his own advice on certain issues, but maintains it because he has to stay consistent. In general, he does a good service for people who really need his help. If you've got a grasp on your finances, then his axioms aren't as relevant to you.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:30 PM

I have recently started listening to his program and find it to be good advice, yes there are times when what he espouses may not be the most dollar efficient way to go about it, but he freely admits that sometimes you have to adjust for your psychology and pay a small amount more so that you are better able to maintain the rigor of paying the total debt over the long term.

I think what I find most interesting is how he shows that people purchase using pure emotion instead of looking at the numbers and then balancing the hard numbers with the emotions involved with the purchase.

Personally, I dont think I would use many of the products he promotes, both his own or the stuff he endorses, but I do follow the common sense strategies he espouses.

In a society where companies are marketing with a "get it now" pressure, I find his delayed gratification attitude refreshing.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:25 PM

Dave Ramsey changed my life. I'd be broke and working full time in a job I hate right now if I didn't find his show. Now that I'm a bit more educated (and long out of debt), I wish he'd talk more about the wealth building side of things. Most of his show is repition of the basics, but it's still good reenforcement, so I keep listening.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now that I'm a bit more educated (and long out of debt), I wish he'd talk more about the wealth building side of things.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, his show is 3 hours and he usually breaks it up. He'll do a "singles hour", "college hour", "married couple hour", etc...it would be nice if the last hour of his show would be devoted to wealth-building. His show just got picked up on FM radio in Houston from 11-2 so I get to listen to it often.

I do think that there are people who know a lot more about wealth-building than Dave, but the way he breaks things down and explains things makes him very listenable. I'd almost trade the substance for the style when it comes to wealth-building.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
His show just got picked up on FM radio in Houston from 11-2 so I get to listen to it often.

[/ QUOTE ]

or listen on the web anytime

DR radio