Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2006, 01:41 PM

Default Two places I have trouble at. Any help?

PartyPoker $10 Speed Tournament, Big Blind is t200 (7 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t1405)
UTG+1 (t3034)
MP1 (t1690)
CO (t1988)
Hero (t2180)
SB (t2495)
BB (t7208)

Preflop: Hero is in Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to t2280 (All-in)</font>,

SNGPT calls this a push (somewhere between 0.4 and 0.8 depending upon hand ranges). I dont like it for a few reasons.

1- The 300 you win if the blinds fold is not game changing for you. There is no effective difference between a 2180 stack and a 2480 stack IMHO.

2- If you are called you are probably dominated. I almost feel better about pushing 78s here than ATo.

3- It lowers my hand range/table image in my opponents eyes if I go into push mode already.

I have been holding off on these marginal pushes for the 200/400 blind round. Is this sound strategy or should I just be hammering away if SNGPT says so??

Next:

PartyPoker $10 Speed Tournament, Big Blind is t100 (10 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t1940)
UTG+1 (t2090)
Hero (t2125)
MP2 (t2380)
MP3 (t2120)
CO+1 (t945)
CO (t3000)
Button (t2070)
SB (t1410)
BB (t1920)

Preflop: Hero is in MP3 with 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="gray"> <font color="red"> Hero ?? </font>

I can see an arguement for open raise, call or fold. In levels 1 and 2 I limp and hunt for a set. Here the blinds are worth stealing so I wonder if I shouldnt open raise, however there arent to many flops that I am going to be happy with OOP. I find that if I limp I get raised by some late position [censored] and have to fold. Am I just chip spewing? Should I be folding this?
Old 08-10-2006, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Two places I have trouble at. Any help?

Hand 1 - Push
Hand 2 - Fold
Old 08-10-2006, 01:43 PM

Yeah, I like it.

AT is a monster on the button, don't kid yourself with 78s pushing.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:45 PM

I'm always folding Hand #2. I hate limping and being raised here, and I really hate raising and being re-raised here.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can see an arguement for open raise, call or fold. In levels 1 and 2 I limp and hunt for a set. Here the blinds are worth stealing so I wonder if I shouldnt open raise, however there arent to many flops that I am going to be happy with OOP. I find that if I limp I get raised by some late position [censored] and have to fold. Am I just chip spewing? Should I be folding this?

[/ QUOTE ]

You should definitely fold hand 2. You'll get called far too often when you open raise. I think it's too expensive to limp for set value, especially from MP1, when it could get raised behind you. Definite fold.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1- The 300 you win if the blinds fold is not game changing for you. There is no effective difference between a 2180 stack and a 2480 stack IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right that its not "game changing", which is why you don't push any 2 of here. But it is definitely helpful and means you get to go one more orbit without being forced to push 23o from the button later down the line. AT is a pretty good hand, don't let it go to waste.

[ QUOTE ]
2- If you are called you are probably dominated. I almost feel better about pushing 78s here than ATo.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you are probably dominated when pushing AT, then the blinds are calling extremely tight, and you will pick up the blinds &gt;85% of the time. Well worth it IMO.

[ QUOTE ]
3- It lowers my hand range/table image in my opponents eyes if I go into push mode already.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not really. If you're hesitant about pushing AT in this situation, then you probably won't be in push fold mode again for another 1-2 orbits. Plenty of time for them to forget that you pushed once some time ago.

As for the pocket 4 hand. Your in horrible position, plenty of people with decent stacks ahead of you, and your not all that deep. Fold PF.