Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2006, 12:42 PM

Default What\'s standard $$$ when a site \"signs\" a player to promote them?

Just got curious after ElDiablo mentioned it in another post: when a site signs on a new pro to promote them; e.g. Absolute w/ the Grinder, how much do they typically get paid? How about for rank amateurs or complete unknowns who just get signed to deals based on one or more high-profile tournaments; e.g. the way Stars snaps up as many final tablers as they can? Lastly, what about deals for guys like Hachem/Moneymaker, who were unknowns before their big wins, but are now pretty well recognized both within the poker community,. and outside of it.

I understand most answers will be pure speculation unless someone has specific info...guess that's what NVG is for though...
Old 08-10-2006, 01:39 PM

Location: On my knees praying that God shows my opponents His power
Default Re: What\'s standard $$$ when a site \"signs\" a player to promote them?

This is total speculation based upon gossip I've read here and other places.

I have the impression from Raymers comments that his deal is in the 500K range for 5-7 years with a pretty big chunk of that in tournament buy-ins.

Hachem's deal seems to be more in the million plus range for 7 or 8 years, also a chunk of it tournament buy-ins.

Moneymaker, I have no idea.

Frankly, considering those guys are the spokesmen in what is an international ad campaign, I really think those numbers are low.

I heard that the Grinder's deal was huge because he really took his time before he signed.

I have no idea what the run of the mill pro gets or what the hot chicks get. At best, I would guess tournament buy-ins.

Now ME event final table representation is a different ball game. I read that Black negotiated a 2 million payday last year. While I think the exposure might be worth that to a poker site for the right player, I question why all the other players weren't wearing any gear if that sort of money was being tossed around
Old 08-10-2006, 01:44 PM

Default Re: What\'s standard $$$ when a site \"signs\" a player to promote them?

There is no standard deal. They run the gamut from an hourly/daily rate and/or rakeback to a lump sum tournament stipend, to hundreds of thousands a year.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:51 PM

i remember it was touted that david williams signed a 1 year 200k contract with bodog after coming in second in the ME before he even performed well in other events. considering at the time he wasnt even that famous of a poker player id have to imagine that alot of the truly famous players must be getting about the same or better.

i was told that jim bechtel got paid 200k just to wear poker site clothing at the final table of the 50k horse event. im dont know the validity of this gossip but i was told by someone that they heard it first hand out of bechtels son's mouth.

imho, i think alot of these guys are making at least 50k a year off sponsorship and guys like phil ivey are making upwards of 1mill.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:03 PM

Insert eventual Olivert post here.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i remember it was touted that david williams signed a 1 year 200k contract with bodog after coming in second in the ME before he even performed well in other events. considering at the time he wasnt even that famous of a poker player id have to imagine that alot of the truly famous players must be getting about the same or better.

i was told that jim bechtel got paid 200k just to wear poker site clothing at the final table of the 50k horse event. im dont know the validity of this gossip but i was told by someone that they heard it first hand out of bechtels son's mouth.

imho, i think alot of these guys are making at least 50k a year off sponsorship and guys like phil ivey are making upwards of 1mill.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although I guess it's possible they collect a salary for endorsemenets, too, I think "guys like Phil Ivey" (and other memebers of Team FTP) own a piece of full tilt, and that puts them in a different league than players who get "signed." I assume various stakes in FTP could be worth tens of millions one day.

Amazing if that's true about Bechtel. I wonder which site put up the loot. I have a hunch it was a maximumum of 200K if he won, but still kind of amazing.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I assume various stakes in FTP could be worth tens of millions one day.

[/ QUOTE ]

they could also be worth a few years (in jail)
Old 08-10-2006, 02:37 PM

I have no idea on numbers at all, but I am pretty sure Greg made a comment that included a "most favored nation" kind of deal, I will try to search for it. But, the way I understood it he signed with PS with some sort of "you pay them more than me, I get that plus a buck"

edit:

this is the quote
(from Shaniac)
[ QUOTE ]

I stayed with Justin in Paris, and he mentioned something about "being in talks" with Pokerstars and inking deal that would make Raymer's and Moneymaker's "look like chump change." Can't wait to see the new Pokerstars.net comemrcials featuring our young Justin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Greg's response
[ QUOTE ]

More power to him. I hope that he gets PS to sign a deal paying him $50 million a year. Seriously. Ever heard of a most favored nations clause? ;-)

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

[/ QUOTE ]

its located here
Old 08-10-2006, 03:21 PM

That post was tongue-in-cheek.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:26 PM

Surprised that people would make 8 year deals. 8 years seems to be a long time to assume that poker will continue to have the shine that merits paying folks big money endorsement deals.