Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2006, 07:07 PM

Default $1500 WSOP - early AKo hand

Blinds 25-50, about 3 minutes until blinds raise to 50-100. UTG covers me and limps. No real read on UTG since he's new to the table. Folds to the button who has 1775 and makes it $450 to go (obviously unusual oversized raise). Button is also somewhat new to the table, but has been playing tight since he's been here. I have 1850 in the SB and AKo. My read at the time was that he definitely wasn't on a pure steal and had a real hand, but very unlikely to be AA/KK. My image was very tight. The set of 3s (described below) was the only hand I'd shown down, and I hadn't been very aggressive or active. Your action?

Oh, and on UTGs openlimp, it didn't really worry me too much. 2 hands earlier we played a pot I had limped with 33 UTG, he limped also and i checked an A93r flop 7-ways which he bet, and after one caller I pushed and he folded and after I got called by the other player he said he folded AQ. Probably not at all relevant since I think the button's raise is much more worriesome than UTG's limp at this stage of the tourney, but figure I'd put it out there.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:36 PM

Default Re: $1500 WSOP - early AKo hand

I would not want to call off a quarter of my stack out of position with someone utg left to act.Utg could push and you would have a certain fold.

If you called and utg folded you will probably still have to face a large bet on the flop and 2 out of 3 you aren't hitting.The button wasn't worried about the limper from utg so I would put him on a high pair JJ-KK and maybe AK.Being that you have AK he is more likely to have JJ or QQ.I think that if you push you will definatley be getting a call,maybe from utg with AA.

Too big a gamble right now,lay it down.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:24 PM

I'd probably push, the money out there is a decent percentage of your stack, way too much to call off OOP with an unpaired hand. Plus given the nature of these tournaments it seems to me that you need to take every opportunity to chip up that you can.

Just look real serious, like you have AA or KK if you don't want him to call.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:33 PM

i'd go all in
Old 08-09-2006, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'd go all in

[/ QUOTE ]

Preach it.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:06 PM

I have been advocating folding or calling AK in many situations lately, but I don't think this is one of them. You need to build your stack up fast or you will soon be forced to act with hand you are not comfortable with. I would just push and hope for the best. The UTG is unlikely to call you and the raiser could be on a steal or has a hand like AQ or mid pair that he will fold. It is unlikely he has AA/KK so your probable worst case is a race. When you factor in the pot odds and the shallow stacks in these tournaments I think the push makes the most sense.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Blinds 25-50...Folds to the button who has 1775 and makes it $450 to go...My read at the time was that he definitely wasn't on a pure steal and had a real hand, but very unlikely to be AA/KK.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he can do this with AQ, push. If he can't, fold.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Blinds 25-50...Folds to the button who has 1775 and makes it $450 to go...My read at the time was that he definitely wasn't on a pure steal and had a real hand, but very unlikely to be AA/KK.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he can do this with AQ, push. If he can't, fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
I hadn't seen enough of his play to narrow his range confidently. But I put his range on mostly QQ-99/AK, with small chances of both AQ/KK. I also thought I had a good amount of FE agaiunst JJ-99/AK. Nevertheless I thought folding wouldn't be bad either since I didn't have a great read. But I knew it was either push/fold.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:50 AM

If he can't do this with AQ and will never fold anything (he won't BTW, nobody that raises some medium strength hand 9xBB ever folds it to a push), there's absolutely no point making this shove.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:13 AM

Default RESULTS

[ QUOTE ]
If he can't do this with AQ and will never fold anything (he won't BTW, nobody that raises some medium strength hand 9xBB ever folds it to a push), there's absolutely no point making this shove.

[/ QUOTE ]
Folding could have been the best play, i don't doubt that at all. But based on the results of the hand I know that this player (against me and my image) could and probably would have laid down JJ-99, i just am not certain if he would ever have made the big raise with any of those hands, though at the time I thought he would. I pushed and he actually thought for 2 minutes and finally called with QQ.