Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2006, 01:35 PM

Default 100NL - KK and a fold

I have all of 22 hands on villain. Through that span he is 18/13/agg and haven't seen him do anything out of line. I saw him attempt a button steal with A4s, c-bet a missed flop and then check down unimproved.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero ($98.50)
CO ($179.60)
Button ($123.65)
SB ($92.81)
BB ($91.55)
UTG ($77.55)

Preflop: Hero is MP with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $12</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls $8.

Flop: ($25.50) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $18</font>, Hero calls $18.

Turn: ($61.50) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $50</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $111.50

I'm not entirely sure what I was doing in this hand. I figured this guy would 3-bet JJ-AA and maybe AK pf. By calling the flop I figured this guy would know at that point that I have a hand. Unfortunately my hand is terrible for this flop given then pf action. Is the fold a good one?
Old 08-09-2006, 01:43 PM

Default Re: 100NL - KK and a fold

I 3 bet PF and lead the flop
Old 08-09-2006, 01:45 PM

I really don't like the way this was played at all. The check/call flop is just spewing if you're planning on check/folding the turn.

His 3-betting range is very high as an 18/13 and definitely not limited to AA-QQ. I play about 18/13, and my 3-betting range from the button here would probably be 77+, AQ+, and possibly some suited connectors some of the time. I think in this spot, I might 4-bet this preflop since you're OOP and you don't want to play OOP often.

The line I think that would have been much much better would be check/call flop, lead turn for about $30-$40 and fold to a raise.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:46 PM

My question is what were you expecting to hit on the turn that made you call the bet after the flop. And was the ten really a scare card for you. If you thought you were behind after the flop then you were betting to catch 2 outs and if you thought you were ahead then the ten doesn't change anything and IMO you should push.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:46 PM

i think its a good fold. you only beat ak, aq, and jj here and hes showing enough aggression here to tell you that you may be beat. with no good read on the player i dont mind a fold. i think we see aa and qq here often enough
Old 08-09-2006, 01:55 PM

Wow... weak.

If you don't 4-bet preflop, a c/c on flop and lead the turn is good; checkraising shows a bit too much strength in my opinion. You could also decide to lead the flop and turn and if you get raised on the turn you can throw your hand away easily enough.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My question is what were you expecting to hit on the turn that made you call the bet after the flop. And was the ten really a scare card for you. If you thought you were behind after the flop then you were betting to catch 2 outs and if you thought you were ahead then the ten doesn't change anything and IMO you should push.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't expecting to hit anything on the turn that would change my situation except for my two outer. When the flop hit I figured I was either way ahead or way behind. I called to see his action on the turn and figured at that point it was a good fold given the size of his bet there.

Lately I've been calling 3-bets preflop with AA-KK and pushing good flops. That was my intention this hand but the Q really screwed that up. A check/push on this flop only gets a call by QQ and AA - maybe AQ and I split with the other kings.

The other line is where I 4-bet preflop and reraise to $45ish. Then if he pushes I have to dump or if he calls I open push any flop. I suppose $45 is a decent price to get away from the dreaded KK vs AA. It's almost always a full stack when I run into that situation.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow... weak.

If you don't 4-bet preflop, a c/c on flop and lead the turn is good; checkraising shows a bit too much strength in my opinion. You could also decide to lead the flop and turn and if you get raised on the turn you can throw your hand away easily enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the first line where I c/c the flop and then lead the turn for say $40ish, what do I do on the river if I'm called?
Old 08-09-2006, 05:44 PM

I think that given your pf action, you actually played this hand ok. However, I tend to push this pf. His re-raise range on the button is pretty large and I hate HATE to play big pots OOP.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that given your pf action, you actually played this hand ok. However, I tend to push this pf. His re-raise range on the button is pretty large and I hate HATE to play big pots OOP.

[/ QUOTE ]

I recently switched from limit to NL, but just reading preflop this is exactly what I was saying. I tend to 4bet in spots like this when im oop. I would only call a 3bet here if I was in position.