Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2006, 09:01 PM

Default trying to buy chips.... flopped the nuts

Just curious if this has happened to anyone (I"m sure it has).

I was playing a $100 NL table on UB tonight. I had just lost a big hand in the small blind, and I found my stack down to about $15. I immediately pushed the "get chips" button to replelinsh my chipstack, but the deal for the next hand had already started. I'm pretty certain I hit the button before the deal started, but I didn't get my chips before I got 65s the next hand. Two callers before me allowed me to limp, and the flop was a 234 rainbow. I ended up doubling up against the guy with a set of 4's.

I'm a little peeved about the situation, though. I should have had a full $100 in front of me at the start of the hand. This little glitch cost me about $80.

Is it even worth complaining about this?
Old 08-08-2006, 09:04 PM

Default Re: trying to buy chips.... flopped the nuts

Standard [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-08-2006, 09:53 PM

if you got the chips he would have boated up, duh
Old 08-09-2006, 06:44 PM

Get in the habit of selecting the "add chips" option during a hand you know you will be committing a large portion of your stack. It also slows down your reaction... I like it because it helps me avoid "insta-call" type actions and makes me think things over... it's part of my "slow it down" routine.

Yes, I love quotes.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:41 PM

Tough luck
Old 08-12-2006, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Get in the habit of selecting the "add chips" option during a hand you know you will be committing a large portion of your stack. It also slows down your reaction... I like it because it helps me avoid "insta-call" type actions and makes me think things over... it's part of my "slow it down" routine.

Yes, I love quotes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for this reply. It's something I had never even thought of. It sounds like another one of those "discipline" things that'll take some practice to get the hang of just because this just doesn't happen very often.

But at the same time, I don't think the guy who called with his two overs against my top set the hand before had me even the slightest bit concerned about any possibility that I might actually lose the hand. That was, of course, until the two spades came runner-runner.

It seems funny how the $80 I lost on that hand doesn't even come remotely close to hurting as much as the extra $80 I should have won on the hand in question.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Yes, I love quotes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do this exact thing. It gives you that little extra pause you need to ensure you put some thought into it and avoid instapush mistakes.
Old 08-13-2006, 06:12 PM

If you commit a large portion of your stack and indicate your intention to rebuy.. the opponent might consider that an intentional broadcast of weakness and my think you in fact have a very powerful hand. You gain two advantages, 1) you slow down 2) the opponent may think you're trying to send the opposite message and give him second thoughts about staying in the pot.
Old 08-13-2006, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you commit a large portion of your stack and indicate your intention to rebuy.. the opponent might consider that an intentional broadcast of weakness and my think you in fact have a very powerful hand. You gain two advantages, 1) you slow down 2) the opponent may think you're trying to send the opposite message and give him second thoughts about staying in the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

huh?
Old 08-13-2006, 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Number 2 makes no sense. Your opponent has no idea that you are pausing to rebuy during the hand.