Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2006, 04:56 PM

Default Online to B&M transition

I play both online and at local B&M's, but most of my play is online. I am planning to shift most/all of my play to B&M's for various reasons and am looking for advice / comments from anyone with insight. I will only be playing limit hold'em in B&M's. A couple of specific questions. General comments also welcomed.

1. I have heard that there is a "rule of 8" for B&M games compared to online, where a $4-$8 B&M game will play roughly the same as a $.50-$1.00 online game. In my limited B&M experience, I have found this to be pretty true, but then again, I have a tiny sample size. Do others find this / a different rule of thumb to be true?

2. I have been surprised at the amount of people who will fold on the river in B&M limit games. For example, one aggressor with 3 callers on all streets. On the river, the aggressor bets again and all 3 opponents fold. On-line, I almost always see at least one caller in this situation. Is this common for B&M?

3. In general, I have found B&M games to be much more passive than online, with people calling when they have a medium flush, etc., instead of raising. In addition, I see people fold the river to a check-raise much more often live. Is this consistent with others experiences, or am I just imaging things / working with a tiny sample size?

Any other thoughts / advice on key differences in limit HE would be appreciated.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:59 PM

Default Re: Online to B&M transition

[ QUOTE ]

Any other thoughts / advice on key differences in limit HE would be appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read the Brick and Mortor forum. The answers are within.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Read the Brick and Mortor forum. The answers are within.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. I've been lurking on that forum and based on some of the posts, the B&M games sound more passive and generally softer, but I have not seen much in the way of a direct comparison on that forum. I am particularly interested in validating my thoughts on equivalent fishiness. For example, I can consistently beat $1-$2 online. Does this translate to being able to beat $8-$16 live, or should I keep to $4-$8 until I have more B&M experience?
Old 08-08-2006, 05:13 PM

B&M has a higher rake/tips. So try to play as high as your BR allows. I've played in 15-30 and 30-60 games that are fishier than 1-2 online. You can assess a juicy game after one orbit most of the time.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:15 PM

If I was going to make a permanent shift from 8-tabling online to playing live, I'd be sure to bring a gun so that I could shoot myself in the head. But good luck.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I was going to make a permanent shift from 8-tabling online to playing live, I'd be sure to bring a gun so that I could shoot myself in the head. But good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

The shift is not entirely by choice. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

One of my challenges with B&M is having the discipline to wait for decent hands after being used to 8 tabling. I try to play little games like "lets put everyone on a hand" in order to keep from going nuts. Any advice in this area appreciated.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:35 PM

Thanks for the good advice. I have a $4K BR which is replenishable if needed since poker is a hobby, not my job. However, it is pretty intimidating to put serious money on the table, and I end up playing weak-tight as a result.

I am used to playing 8 tables of $1-$2. When I play $8-$16, I find myself hesitating before putting $32 out on a turn raise. I have the BR, but the monetary swings are a bit upsetting. Is this just something that I need to get over?
Old 08-08-2006, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this just something that I need to get over?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is something that everyone has to get over. Some can, some can't. I, myself, have always found it very hard since my 2-4 days...

Edited to add: It pleases me that some poker gods, like Schneids, also have this to get over, his "problem" apparently only showed up at $1000-$2000 limit. I guess it's a matter of tolerance for everyone...
Old 08-08-2006, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I had the time and BR to play B&M every day, I'd ditch InterWeb poker in a heartbeat. Reads are so much stronger.

YMMV depending on your social abilities, and your ability to play face-to-face against a number of actual degenerates, instead of avatars of hot chicks.

[ QUOTE ]
Is this just something that I need to get over?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't notice whether you said you're bankrolled for $8/16 (that would be at least $4800). Many people who 8-table 1/2 are only rolled for 1/2, and your concern over the money seems to indicate you might not be fully rolled for the higher level.

But yes, you can't play optimum poker when money is an issue, so either get over it or build your bankroll until it's not an issue.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:12 PM

If you're beating 1/2 regularly there's no reason to play lower than 8/16 live. At limits lower than that the rake tips stunt your earn appreciably.

You'll soon get inured to the value of the bets and raises and just think of it as chips. This'll happen faster than you think.

The harder thing will be making the subtle playing adjustments against larger fields.