Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2006, 04:29 PM

Default Confessions of a low-stakes stud player

Greetings,

Been playing at Canterbury since it opened in 2000, always 7-stud. Used to be half-and-half; now very often no LL stud is going. Gradually started playing more and more hold 'em, and have come to love the game. Still love stud, but hold 'em is just as fun too. Anyway, last week a stud game had an open seat and was running, and I did the unthinkable - took the hold 'em seat [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]).

Looks like some great posts on the forum, and I look forward to some good discussions. Say hi if you're ever out at CP. I also write for pokermagazine.com and Full Tilt mag on low-stakes stud and hold 'em, and have 2 books, one out, one to be out next year on stud and stud 8 but this isn't a full-time job as poker is just a serious hobby.

Paul
Old 08-08-2006, 05:09 PM

Default Re: Confessions of a low-stakes stud player

Hey it's nice to see another CP player on the forums. It seems like every time I go to CP there is a 1/2 game of stud going but mabey i'm mistaken. What limits do you play? If it's 2/4 or 6/6 I'm certain we've sat together at some point.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:57 PM

You are mistaken. CP does not spread any games below 2/4 [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. Also the stud games are not going most of the time.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:21 PM

I play 2/4 stud if it's going; but more and more it seems to not be going; kind of 50/50. I do play a lot of HE too though; went out last night and played stud from 10:30 to 12:30 (midnight) and it busted up. Kept banging away with kings on one hand and rivered two pair; probably play a bit overly-aggressive, but I just hate giving free cards [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]).

So I usually always play 2/4; wear an aloha shirt in the summer and the Phil Ivey-wannabe PokerStars hoodie; grey or black, in the fall and winter; for a while I went through a tie phase so always wore a tie lol. I think it has something to do with The Sting being my favorite flick. "Mr. Shaw, we usually require a tie at this table."

Paul
Old 08-09-2006, 01:22 PM

>>CP does not spread any games below 2/4 . Also the stud games are not going most of the time.

Alas no, but a few nights a week they still go. Used to be half and half when it opened in 2000.

Paul
Old 08-10-2006, 12:21 AM

I have only played stud a few times at CP and I gotta say it is boring as hell. Most of the players in the 2/4 stud game need to have oxygen tanks with them at the table. The 6/12 stud8 has a better line up.