Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2006, 02:53 PM

Default Daily Rants: \"End of the world 2012?\", \"Crazy\", \"Monopoly\", .......

“End of the World 2012”
- So I was watching discovery channel the other day and found out that the end of the world is December 21st, 2012. It was all based on the Aztecs/Myans/Incans (whichever group, it doesn’t matter). And supposedly, they have been able to predict the month/day/year of large scale catastrophes, which is what gives researchers reason to believe their claim of the end of the world. I also think a man, “Phillip Mckenney” (I think) came up with a theory that the end of the world is also in 2012. Mckenny’s theory is based on the frequency of revolutions increasing at an exponential rate (ie. Agricultural, Industrial, Technological, etc.). And through all his research & mathematical computations he came up with 2012 also. Does anyone have any information on this? Also if the end of the world is in 2012, are you “[happy, glad, excited…], [indifferent], or [sad, scared, angry…]”?

“Crazy: Disease or Development?”
- Is someone whom we consider crazy, crazy because of genetics, or crazy because of their own experiences with culture and society? Can it be a little of both? Or, are people predisposed to being crazy and their society/culture act as the coloring book (the media of which their craziness is reflected).

- If America is a melting pot, and craziness is derived from genes, then wouldn’t it make sense that America has potential to develop the most extreme crazies? (Which I think we’ve already proven we do)

- I was having a conversation with a friend the other day and we got on trying to distinguish between "weird" and "crazy" we defined 2 objects, one as what we would both call "weird", and the other "crazy". The obvious question we came to next was what about a combination of both, yet still being able to distinguish the "weird" from the "crazy". We couldn’t think of an example that you could actually separate what makes the person "weird" and what makes em' "crazy". It was impossible to say that the "crazy" person's actions were "weird" without saying the "weird" actions were "crazy". (inebriated topics)

“Monopoly”
- Exon's Quarterly Report (few weeks ago) stated they earned over $10,000,000,000 (10 Billion) in 1 quarter (3 months). Can someone explain to me how this is not a monopoly of the Oil Industry. I remember when taking ap us hist. that we talked about governmental regulation of large companies to prevent monopolies from forming. What is the difference between what these businesses were doing and what the large Oil companies of today are doing? Also, I believe the reason the government took action during the Roosevelt era was because they believed it had a major role in creating the Great Depression. It just seems like a crime to make 10 Billion in 3 months and for gas prices to rise.

“Just Wondering”
- Is it illegal, even if it’s for the pursuit of knowledge (educational), to make a device that emits an electromagnetic field? Is it illegal if you make it in your home?
Old 08-08-2006, 03:21 PM

Default Re: Daily Rants: \"End of the world 2012?\", \"Crazy\", \"Monopoly\", .....

end of the world: no.

crazy: weirdness is more about unusualness and doing things that don't make sense to other people. craziness is about being detached from/in your own reality. crazy people are almost always weird but weird people are not necessarily crazy at all.

monopoly: it's not illegal to have a monopoly. it's illegal to try and get/maintain a monopoly by inhibiting competition in some way. simply making obscene profits is not proof that anything illegal is happening.

just wondering: huh?
Old 08-08-2006, 04:23 PM

Default Re: Daily Rants: \"End of the world 2012?\", \"Crazy\", \"Monopoly\", .......

[ QUOTE ]
“End of the World 2012”
- So I was watching discovery channel the other day and found out that the end of the world is December 21st, 2012. It was all based on the Aztecs/Myans/Incans (whichever group, it doesn’t matter). And supposedly, they have been able to predict the month/day/year of large scale catastrophes, which is what gives researchers reason to believe their claim of the end of the world. I also think a man, “Phillip Mckenney” (I think) came up with a theory that the end of the world is also in 2012. Mckenny’s theory is based on the frequency of revolutions increasing at an exponential rate (ie. Agricultural, Industrial, Technological, etc.). And through all his research & mathematical computations he came up with 2012 also. Does anyone have any information on this? Also if the end of the world is in 2012, are you “[happy, glad, excited…], [indifferent], or [sad, scared, angry…]”?

“Crazy: Disease or Development?”
- Is someone whom we consider crazy, crazy because of genetics, or crazy because of their own experiences with culture and society? Can it be a little of both? Or, are people predisposed to being crazy and their society/culture act as the coloring book (the media of which their craziness is reflected).

- If America is a melting pot, and craziness is derived from genes, then wouldn’t it make sense that America has potential to develop the most extreme crazies? (Which I think we’ve already proven we do)

- I was having a conversation with a friend the other day and we got on trying to distinguish between "weird" and "crazy" we defined 2 objects, one as what we would both call "weird", and the other "crazy". The obvious question we came to next was what about a combination of both, yet still being able to distinguish the "weird" from the "crazy". We couldn’t think of an example that you could actually separate what makes the person "weird" and what makes em' "crazy". It was impossible to say that the "crazy" person's actions were "weird" without saying the "weird" actions were "crazy". (inebriated topics)

“Monopoly”
- Exon's Quarterly Report (few weeks ago) stated they earned over $10,000,000,000 (10 Billion) in 1 quarter (3 months). Can someone explain to me how this is not a monopoly of the Oil Industry. I remember when taking ap us hist. that we talked about governmental regulation of large companies to prevent monopolies from forming. What is the difference between what these businesses were doing and what the large Oil companies of today are doing? Also, I believe the reason the government took action during the Roosevelt era was because they believed it had a major role in creating the Great Depression. It just seems like a crime to make 10 Billion in 3 months and for gas prices to rise.

“Just Wondering”
- Is it illegal, even if it’s for the pursuit of knowledge (educational), to make a device that emits an electromagnetic field? Is it illegal if you make it in your home?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean like a nuclear weapon, or just an 'EMP bomb?' Either way, it certainly would become illegal the minute it damaged anyones electronics, etc.

EDIT: Ok, reread, and you said EM field. Umm...lots of things emit an EM field. Pretty much all of your electronics do this. Did you mean what I just assumed you meant, EM pulse?
Old 08-08-2006, 04:29 PM

Default Re: Daily Rants: \"End of the world 2012?\", \"Crazy\", \"Monopoly\", .......

End of the World: That's ridiculous.
Crazy: Almost certainly a combination of genetics and environment in most cases, although some cases are probably entirely one or entirely the other.
-The melting pot thing doesn't make much sense to me.
-WTF?
Monopoly: It's not a monopoly because there are other oil companies. Citgo, Shell, BP.
Just Wondering: As others have pointed out, all electronics produce an EM field. I think the FCC probably has regulations on what is permissible.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:34 PM

Default Re: Daily Rants: \"End of the world 2012?\", \"Crazy\", \"Monopoly\", .....

[ QUOTE ]
simply making obscene profits is not proof that anything illegal is happening.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tho it might be proof that we need to change our laws.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
simply making obscene profits is not proof that anything illegal is happening.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tho it might be proof that we need to change our laws.

[/ QUOTE ]

More laws? Bet ya can't go through a whole active day now without breaking at least one. Enough already! Yikes!
Old 08-08-2006, 07:29 PM

For the 2012 one, it's Mayan, and is actually based on a interesting event.

The place where the December solstice sun crosses the Milky Way is precisely the location of the "dark-rift in the Milky Way ...'xibalba be' - the road to the underworld." This would be the mythology part.

On the winter solstice of 2012, the noonday Sun exactly conjuncts the crossing point of the sun's ecliptic with the galactic plane, while also closely conjuncting the exact the center of the galaxy.

However, this is frequenty misinterpreted as the end of the world. It simply is the end of a 104,000 year cycle broken down into 13-year cycles.

We grow exponentially. It makes sense that the net amount of craziness would grow exponentially whether this was genetic or not.

I suppose you could build a vircator, I'm assuming you mean EMP's too, like another responder. Just don't point it at the cat.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone have any information on this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[ QUOTE ]
Also if the end of the world is in 2012, are you “[happy, glad, excited…], [indifferent], or [sad, scared, angry…]”?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't give a [censored].

[ QUOTE ]
Is someone whom we consider crazy, crazy because of genetics, or crazy because of their own experiences with culture and society?

[/ QUOTE ]

They are just crazy. Why do you care?.

[ QUOTE ]
Can it be a little of both?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[ QUOTE ]
Or, are people predisposed to being crazy and their society/culture act as the coloring book (the media of which their craziness is reflected).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. That too.

[ QUOTE ]
wouldn’t it make sense that America has potential to develop the most extreme crazies?

[/ QUOTE ]

Statiscally yes. Kurtotically, any country is possible/likely.

[ QUOTE ]
I was having a conversation with a friend the other day and we got on trying to distinguish between "weird" and "crazy" we defined 2 objects, one as what we would both call "weird", and the other "crazy". The obvious question we came to next was what about a combination of both, yet still being able to distinguish the "weird" from the "crazy". We couldn’t think of an example that you could actually separate what makes the person "weird" and what makes em' "crazy". It was impossible to say that the "crazy" person's actions were "weird" without saying the "weird" actions were "crazy". (inebriated topics)

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh?

[ QUOTE ]
What is the difference between what these businesses were doing and what the large Oil companies of today are doing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Today's companies comply with the "law".

[ QUOTE ]
It just seems like a crime to make 10 Billion in 3 months and for gas prices to rise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why me?.

[ QUOTE ]
Is it illegal, even if it’s for the pursuit of knowledge (educational), to make a device that emits an electromagnetic field? Is it illegal if you make it in your home?

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends where you live.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I certainly hope not. When I was like 9 or 10 years old, I made an electromagnet. I wrapped insulated copper wire around a bolt or a nail (I don't remember which), and I cound hook it up to a battery and pick up small steel objects (paper clips, etc.) with it. If that was illegal, maybe the statute of limitations has expired.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In the US the FCC restricts "hobby" brodcasts of radio waves. Its either 1 watt or 2 watts, I can't remeber which. A HAM radio license will let you goto at least 5 watts.

Any comercial devices have to comply with the FCC rule of "not causing harmful interference" I haven't seen a defintion of harmful.

As far as what you can do? I dunno. Where does the FCC no longer have jurisdiction? (magnetics?)