Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2006, 02:13 PM

Default yet another debt collection question ( much more interesting )

ok, i incurred a pretty large debt because of a hospital emergency a few months ago... about 12,000 dollars. i pled my case to a girl in the payment services department and she gave me a waiver so i only have to pay 25% of the 12,000 dollars if i pay it by the middle of september. so that's good.

i also had to go to 4 appointments at the hospital to make sure that my leg healed up properly, which totaled abou 250 dollars.

i got a call today from the collection people at the hospital and i told her i'm ready to pay, and she said that the total amount is 250 dollars that i owe. i told her that i was pretty sure that i owed much more than that and that i didn't want to miss out on the reduced rate i had been offered. she said she was looking all through my records and that i only owe 250 dollars. i told her that i was willing to pay that amount right now, but that i wanted a confirmation letter from her stating that all my debts had been paid to the hospital, and she said that as soon as my credit card payment cleared, i'd get the letter.

so what the hell happened? when i get that letter in the mail, will that allow me to raise hell and get out of paying the large amount if they ever try to get me to pay it at a later date? she said that her department are responsible for collecting EVERY debt that the hospital has, so she can't imagine that that would happen.. but the fact remains that i definetly did incur it. anyone got a clue?
Old 08-08-2006, 02:40 PM

Default Re: yet another debt collection question ( much more interesting )

Lloyd,

Your title is awesome, and stop injuring yourself for the love of god. Maybe you need to get your inner ear checked out?
Old 08-08-2006, 02:42 PM

Sounds like they might have written the 12k off as uncollectable and sold it to a third party collection agency. Make sure you get that all debts fully discharged letter.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like they might have written the 12k off as uncollectable and sold it to a third party collection agency.

[/ QUOTE ]

this has occured to me, but i doubt it. it hasn't been very long, and i haven't recieved anything from any collection agency. i mean, i know it could have happened. but i think that in most cases they don't sell the debt that quickly, especially since the period in which i had a waiver for the full amount wasn't even up yet.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like they might have written the 12k off as uncollectable and sold it to a third party collection agency. Make sure you get that all debts fully discharged letter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, that's what happened. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy, too.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:14 PM

i really don't think that's a possibility. not even close to enough time passed for them to have done that.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i really don't think that's a possibility. not even close to enough time passed for them to have done that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, and as has already been stated, you'd have been getting phone calls by now. Unless they don't have your updated personal information, that is.

How are the plans for the drive to Costa Rica coming along? I'm eagerly awaiting the trip report.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:18 PM

you may be able to check out your debt here:

annualcreditreport.com

and see if it appears from the hospital or from a debt collection agency. it's free of charge.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, and as has already been stated, you'd have been getting phone calls by now. Unless they don't have your updated personal information, that is.

How are the plans for the drive to Costa Rica coming along? I'm eagerly awaiting the trip report.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's still being carefully considered... i'm in the process of buying a condo right now ( it's actually allready basically purchased i just have to sign off in a week or so to close the deal ) and i've been on a very intense work out schedule trying to get into better shape. and this 250 bb downswing is going pretty good too. so i haven't had a ton of time to think about it to be honest.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:16 PM

Sign on the condo quick. The debt collection agency probably now owns the debt, and will be contacting you about the 25% payment.