Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2006, 12:23 AM

Default Interview Skills--Help

Hello there,

I have a BS degree in Electrical Engineering. I already had about 10 interviews in the related fields. Zero offer [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] The only job I could find is working for circuit city, 8/hr + commission. You guys have any interview tips. I know I have to show my strength. Apparently, it didn't work out that way, and I stammer, especially talking to strangers [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img].

Thanks in advance,

Joe
Old 08-08-2006, 02:43 AM

Default Re: Interview Skills--Help

<brag>I am not a good public speaker, nor am I outgoing, but I am excellent in interviews.</brag> i.e. It shouldn't matter if you are shy or not a great speaker.

The key is preparation.

I recommend looking around the internet and finding typical interview questions. Copy and paste them into a word document. Then you should literally type out answers for each of them, word for word, what you plan to say in response. Type as if you were talking, (like a script) not as you normally write. Do as many as you can. Then read your answers out loud until you are very comfortable repeating them without looking at the sheet.

You don't need to memorize them word for word as this may make it sound like you've memorized answers... But, you should be very familiar with what you want to say, so that you are able to articulate everything that you want to on the spot.

In addition to the common questions, you should also prepare for technical questions that you expect to be asked.

That is my forumla for interview success. It takes some work, but it is obviously well worth it.

Where are you from? I can't speak for every region, but I know that up here in Canada, the job market for EE's is very tough. Perhaps that is the problem where you are from?

The only other thing I can think of is that your resume is poor or that you are underqualified for the jobs you are applying for. But that seems unlikely since you've been getting quite a few interviews.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:27 PM

I've had the same problem. I just graduated in May with a BSBA in finance with a 3.8 GPA, but I cannot get a job. I've also had around ten interviews. I really suck at them though. It feels like I'm never going to get a job.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:36 PM

Trader ...I can help you with your interviewing skills.....what is your email address and I will send you some interviewing questions that you should have the answers to and then a list of questions that you should ask a potential employeer. Interviewing is like getting your drivers lic. if you make one mistake it is likely that it will be used against you. Remember it is a game and you need to be pre-pared and confident! Would be more then happy to help!
Old 08-08-2006, 04:53 PM

Sometimes it's what's been done post-interview that really sets you apart from the competition.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
<brag>I am not a good public speaker, nor am I outgoing, but I am excellent in interviews.</brag> i.e. It shouldn't matter if you are shy or not a great speaker.

The key is preparation.

I recommend looking around the internet and finding typical interview questions. Copy and paste them into a word document. Then you should literally type out answers for each of them, word for word, what you plan to say in response. Type as if you were talking, (like a script) not as you normally write. Do as many as you can. Then read your answers out loud until you are very comfortable repeating them without looking at the sheet.

You don't need to memorize them word for word as this may make it sound like you've memorized answers... But, you should be very familiar with what you want to say, so that you are able to articulate everything that you want to on the spot.

In addition to the common questions, you should also prepare for technical questions that you expect to be asked.

That is my forumla for interview success. It takes some work, but it is obviously well worth it.

Where are you from? I can't speak for every region, but I know that up here in Canada, the job market for EE's is very tough. Perhaps that is the problem where you are from?

The only other thing I can think of is that your resume is poor or that you are underqualified for the jobs you are applying for. But that seems unlikely since you've been getting quite a few interviews.

Hope that helps.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is good advice. It's all about preparation. But beyond just answering standard questions, prepare a little spiel about yourself, a salespitch if you will, to tell them who you are and why they should hire you. Most of the best interviews I've ever had began with something like that and just turned into nice hour-long conversations. They never even got around to asking their prepared questions.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The key is preparation.

Hope that helps.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is good advice. It's all about preparation. But beyond just answering standard questions, prepare a little spiel about yourself, a salespitch if you will, to tell them who you are and why they should hire you. Most of the best interviews I've ever had began with something like that and just turned into nice hour-long conversations. They never even got around to asking their prepared questions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. OP should definitely include the "Why should we hire you?" question when he is preparing.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes it's what's been done post-interview that really sets you apart from the competition.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can definitely imagine what is being referred to here.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:28 PM

Here are some questions that wer asked during a recent interview:

Name a book that you've read that wasn't for school, and tell me how it has affected your life. (After that was done) Name another.

Name a person that you look up to as a leader and tell me what you have learned from him.

Describe a situation when you had a problem with a fellow coworker and tell me how you resolved it.

So... what are your goals for working out? (Well, I kind of want to get ripped!) Oh really! Well getting ripped is actually all about diet, I used to be a professional bodybuilder and about a month before the competitions, I would eat 27 grilled chicken breasts a day and the fat would just melt off. (convo continued)

I'd say the best trick is to find some common ground and start talking about that... sports, travel, whatever seems to pique her interest.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:33 AM

Hi. I have problems interviewing, too. I think many people do. Here goes, first of all, it sounds like more than anything you have a lot of nervous energy going into these things. So do things to alleviate that. Get a good night's rest. Do a practice one w/ a friend,... if you know any people that work in an HR dept, that's perfect. Look over your resume quickly, look at their job description and see if you can do the things they need. Dress cleanly and be well groomed. Think of a couple questions you have about their job and company.

Get to the interview 10 min early (not 45 min!). When you first get in there, tell them that you are a little nervous or something like that. I've done that a few times and it alleviates some of the anxiety and they don't mind at all. It help the interviewer relax and look at you as human. Then do the best to sell skills and qualities w/ regards to what they're looking for.

If you have a good fit to what they want skill wise, then you should have a shot. Don't pressure yourself into thinking if you will get it or not, after all there are many things out of your control. People tend to hire referrals or from within much more than strangers. Also, the fit might not be right and that's cool, too.

I also suggest you apply to a few jobs in the field you want but that you're a little bit overqualified for.

Anyway, I have a job interview tomorrow morning and I'm sleeping late. Not following my own advice!

GL