Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2006, 08:53 AM

Default flopping trips ?

This is a situation that comes up every now and then.

I have been playing PLO for quite a while and like to think that I make some good decissions on a variety of standard situations.

I know poker in theory is never standard but lets pretend.
No reads on villain
PLO $100
First hand, hero and villain both with full stack.

HeroButton) K Q J 10 (nevermind the suits)
Full table, everybody limps... flop comes K K 2 rainbow
Villain bets the size of the pot from the small blind and everybody folds.(just to simplify things)

Now what ?
I usually raise in this spot cause I find that Villain(on this level)could have any king.
But then I often get a reraise and then what ?

I hope you get the point ?

Harmonix
Old 08-07-2006, 10:02 AM

Default Re: flopping trips ?

You have position in an unraised pot, which means the pot is small in relation to the stacks. Your position means you get to see what he does first in reaction to any turn or river card, and he won't know whether it helped you or not. So even if he currently has the K2 or maybe AK, any card that comes that doesn't give him a better full is a potential scare card that will allow you to bluff bet or bluffraise him, in addition of course to cards that actually fill you. So don't escalate the action yet and get allin on the flop and sacrifice the power of your position. Just call the flop and see what happens. Of course a lot also depends on reads, as in will a particular opponent go broke with just board trips or a worse full, in which case you wouldn't be as inclined to bluff and would wait til you're full to drop the hammer (and fold the river if you didn't fill most likely and you think the minimum he would bet would be trips with an ace).
Old 08-07-2006, 03:02 PM

At a tangent, if you had raised PF, you have at least charged the sb to see the flop, and not let him or bb take free cards.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:52 PM

I raise this preflop almost 100% of the time(occasionally rr w/ it). Flop, sometimes i call, sometimes i raise depending on stack sizes, my image, and villain. In this spot, i just call and see a turn. If you had raised preflop, this hand would play out very different.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:23 PM

This is an obvious flat call on flop. You said it yourself--you most often get reraised which is a darn good reason not to raise in the first place!
Old 08-07-2006, 10:33 PM

I can't edit my last post but I did want to say--when you're not sure what to do when you get reraised and you get reraised there most often when you raise-- then don't do it...
Old 08-08-2006, 05:02 AM

Thanks for all the good replies, clearly it is very hard to discuss this as a standard situation. I would always raise preflop with this hand from the button and then offcourse it would be another scenario.

The reason why I like to reraise on the flop is that I`ll get very upset when turn is a 3,4,5,6,7,8,9, and he fills up with hes crap hand.

Lets say that I raised preflop ? my experience is that it doesn´t necesarry means that he has AK ?