Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2006, 05:51 AM

Default TAG With 60K hands... Still Down! 1/2 LHE

I am a TAG, but have not been able to make money since I started playing (60K hands). These stats are primarily from 1/2, but about 15,000 hands were at .25/.50 or .50/1.

VPIP: 15.73%
Folded SB to Steal: 82.24%
Folded BB to Steal: 72.66%
Att. To Steal Blinds: 23.49%
W$WSF: 36.35%
Went To SD: 33.57%
W$AtSD: 53.20%
PF Raise: 8.32%
AF (excluding preflop): 1.91
AF (including preflop): 1.24
Folded To River Bet: 43.22%

I think those are the essential stats. If there is something I am leaving out, I will add it.

The following is a chart of my play since I started.

I generally follow the recommendations in SSHE for preflop play and try to follow the postflop play outlined in the book as well. I cold call only with AJs or AQs, and JQs and pocket pairs in late if there are at least 3 in the pot... otherwise it's re-raise or fold.

I think I take AK a bit far when I don't hit. I am going to start posting questionable hands in this regard. I am down with all suited connectors T9s and lower, so I think I have a problem there. Will also be posting these type of hands.

I think my blind play is poor. BB is -0.26 and SB is -0.19 BB won per hand. Any recommendations or strategies are greatly appreciated in this area.

Looking forward to comments and suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:02 AM

Default Re: TAG With 60K hands... Still Down! 1/2 LHE

a few quickies
- you are little on the tight side preflop
- you arent raising enough preflop (I like a PFR of around 10)
- you arent stealing enough so by stealing more you can get your PFR up at well
- your postflop aggression is a little low. you probably arent value betting enough
- everyone loses in the blinds..I cant recall off hand what reasonable stats for the blinds are

disclaimer: do all these things for the right reasons

looks to me like you a just a little weak tight and this might make you predictable to observant opponents.

get involved in the forums and challenge yourself to reply to hands posts and put your thinking out there. sure, youll screw up sometimes but this is a great way to learn when corrected you are more likely to remember it. by actually typing in what you would do and WHY you force yourself explain your actions...taht in itself is very useful.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:35 AM

I agree with the thongs AussieBattler said.

Also, it looks like you're folding an awful lot on the river. (I am at work, so can't look at my own PT stats, so this may be off).

Maybe post some hands that you folded on the river?
Old 08-07-2006, 06:48 AM

Maybe you should consider moving down the limits a bit. Start with .05/.10, learn the concepts and different hand situations that you will face there, build your BR and move up.

Im a newbie too, i play preflop more or less according to the SSHE chart. But my Vpip is still 12 (yeah, i really need to work on it). However, im still winning.

I´ve realized 3 major concepts that have at least helped me in my game.

1.Before you act, ask yourself how big is the pot.

2. In a small pot you need to be pretty sure that you hold the best hand in order to continue, if you´re bet or raised. Don´t start chasing hopeless draws. The pot just isn´t worth it. When the pot is big, be aggressive with your strong made hands and strong draws.

It´s all in SSHE, btw, which im sure you´re aware off [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

3. Analyze the hands you´ve played with poker tracker. Post some hands here, and ask opinions. Comment other players hands that are posted here. Analyze hands outside the table. You won´t be having too that much time to do any deeper analysis in the heat of the battle.

So, those are my tips as a newbie. Hope it works out [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-07-2006, 06:49 AM

play 6max, its the easiest way to get better in the blinds

but you aren't going to solve your game by posting stats
Old 08-07-2006, 06:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

never a truer word were spoken.

bottomset, these stat posts are irresistable to you arent they? (I dont recall seeing a stat post here that you didnt post to [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])
Old 08-07-2006, 07:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

never a truer word were spoken.

bottomset, these stat posts are irresistable to you arent they? (I dont recall seeing a stat post here that you didnt post to [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])

[/ QUOTE ]

ha

well I get sick of saying bet/raise

or raise preflop

so these offer a little variety
Old 08-07-2006, 07:15 AM

yup, agreed (thats why I frequent the NC thread more these days)

makaveli, seriously youve played heaps of hands so you should have a nice solid base. if you want to get better you need to take off your training wheels. what does that mean? stop playing just by the book and start playing the players....look for places to isolate weak players, defend your blinds and push your edges etc.

have you read the MicroLimit Library. If not, you should....for starters theres a sweet preflop section in there. Should keep you busy for a while [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

b-set is right, if you want to work on your preflopraising, blind stealing, blind defence and other such skills then play 6max...you just might like it. Im not saying play it full time or on a permanent basis if you dont want but do give it a go. Drop down a limit or two if you have to if the variance will make you uncomfortable. I played just a few thousands hands of 6max and it made a world of difference so i know it works.

oh and let me repeat...get involved in this forum.....just lurking and reading posts will only get you so far...I know when I lurked I would read posts and go 'oh yeah' thats what I'd do but often i was kidding myself.

goodluck
Old 08-07-2006, 07:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
oh and let me repeat...get involved in this forum.....just lurking and reading posts will only get you so far...I know when I lurked I would read posts and go 'oh yeah' thats what I'd do but often i was kidding myself.
goodluck

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree here posting makes you think much more about why certain plays should or should not be made in certain situations. I did the same thing as Aussie and said "'oh yeah' thats what I'd do" and dont think I really ever learned much. I just really started seriously posting about a month or two ago and have learned more in that time then I probably had in an entire year trying to learn on my own.

And as others have said pfr could proabably be a little higher.

And try to steal blinds more ofter. I think my attempt to steal blinds is pretty close to 40%
Old 08-07-2006, 07:40 AM

I think the W$@SD looks ok asw a WTSD, it could be that hero should tighten up a bit on the earlier streets rather than seeing too many rivers with UI draws?