Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2006, 04:45 PM

Default Intelligent Investor - Ch. 18 Comparing Pairs of Companies

This chapter is pretty self explanatory so I don't have much to say. Ben liked taking two random companies (usually because they had similar names or tickers) and point out how differently the market valued them. In this chapter he wasn't so random, he admits these were selected "maliciously" i.e. to make a point. But his comments on each company provide some valuable things to think about, management ability, balance sheet stability, earnings growth quality, and ways to think about their value.

Another lesson you can take from this chapter is the more ideas you look at, the better ideas you find. And you are better able to resist the temptations of putting money to work in marginally attractive investments when you find much more attractive investments. It just takes elbow grease and patience.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:08 AM

Default Re: Intelligent Investor - Ch. 18 Comparing Pairs of Companies

I tried to do this before, but if there are people reading this who weren't here the first time around...please feel free to chime in on the Buckeye or Dover examples, or create one of your own for us to look at.