Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2006, 09:26 PM

Default 50NL FR, AA OOP against decent/pretty aggressive opponent

I suppose this is a fairly common situation but it was interesting to me because I have been worried (sometimes probably unjustifiably) about getting stacked by set fishers. Please excuse the imperfect format - I am doing this from memory...So I only include Hero and Villain. It was a full game though...

Titan $50NL (10 handed)

Effective stacks are $60
Hero is UTG
Villain is MP. I have a so-so read on Villain. He is a decent fairly tight-fairly aggressive player. I know this is rather vague but I think it helps.

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Hero raises to $3, 4 folds, Villain calls, all others fold

Flop: ($6.75) 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero bets $3, Villain raises to $9, Hero calls.

Turn: ($24.75) 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero checks, Villain bets $12, Hero calls

River ($48.75) 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero checks, Villain moves all-in (~$33), Hero calls

Final Pot (~$110)

So What was I thinking?! Well when he raised on flop I immediately thought that he either had an overpair or a set. So I decided to call and reevaluate the turn. On the turn, he only bet half pot which worried me but it also gave him less of a chance of having a set (because he couldn't have 99 in all likelihood). I probably should have pushed the turn? But I was actually thinking that he would fold to a push and I wanted to try to get it all in on river. O another thing, if he had had a full house on the turn I am willing to guess he wouldn't bet that much - hoping to let me catch somehting on the river.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:23 PM

Default Re: 50NL FR, AA OOP against decent/pretty aggressive opponent

[ QUOTE ]
On the turn, he only bet half pot which worried me but it also gave him less of a chance of having a set (because he couldn't have 99 in all likelihood).

[/ QUOTE ]

what about hte other sets?
Old 08-05-2006, 10:50 PM

Bet more on the flop... ~$6. You're protecting against draws, betting for value (you hope), and also getting some useful info if you still get played back at.
Old 08-05-2006, 11:08 PM

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the turn, he only bet half pot which worried me but it also gave him less of a chance of having a set (because he couldn't have 99 in all likelihood).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

what about hte other sets?

What I meant was that it helped narrow his range. For example, if I put him on a range of QQ JJ TT 99 55 33, then 99 is now eliminated from that range. So it is more likely that I am not beat.
Old 08-05-2006, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Bet more on the flop... ~$6. You're protecting against draws, betting for value (you hope), and also getting some useful info if you still get played back at.

OK, yeah I see I should be protecting against draws (clubs in particular). My idea was to originally keep the pot small with my single pair. Of course that didn't end up happening anyways...
So what would you do if villain raises larger because of your larger bet? Push? It's hard to have the option to reevaluate the turn after a larger pot is created on the flop. Or is my thinking totally wrong here? I actually think I got more info with the smaller bet in the end because of the greater number of actions that occurred.