Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2006, 07:26 PM

Default Resume Help

I am a recent graduate, and am possibly interested in getting some work. I don't really have a clue what I want to do, as I feel I could get comfortable in many different types of fields. My degree was in Economics and Computer Science, but I know I want to stay away from programming type jobs.

I know resumes should be tailored to each specific job, so I guess as a start I will have this tailored towards Trader/Finance type jobs. I am also willing to work in other fields, but as a start, I think that is the easiest route to begin to think about.

Please let me know if there is any way I can improve this resume, or what else I should be including.

Resume is can be downloaded here.

Thanks a lot,
Spicymoose
Old 08-04-2006, 07:29 PM

Default Re: Resume Help

You are brave.

...at least take your phone number off before someone (like me) gets bored and drunk calls you.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are brave.

...at least take your phone number off before someone (like me) gets bored and drunk calls you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not stupid enough to put my real phone number or email on there. I am sure someone will get a ton of messages though.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:31 PM

I'd love to study broads in Spain someday.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:46 PM

"Fast learner able to adapt to different work environments and acquire new skill sets."

Solid overall, but get a good writer to work with you on it. The above is an example of a crappy sentence.

-Al
Old 08-04-2006, 08:21 PM

I know cv's are slightly different in the States so might not be relevant.

I hate the font and I hate the boxes.

Do people in the US have a heading for qualifications then put in personal skills rather than qualifications?

For me its an ok cv for a IT job although I would like to see the tools and languages etc you used at the top somewhere rather than in each job, isnt relevant if you want a non IT job.

For accountancy and trading I would think you need to try and strip out the techie stuff in and put more about the business processes you worked on and how you got the info and understanding to develop solutions, anything finance related or that demonstrates your analysis skills.

From whats currently there though I cant see why anyone would give you a finance/trading interview especially if there are a pile of cv's from people who have finance interns etc, thats where you need to get the cv too, a level where it stands out against that competition if thats the way you want to go.

I would have thought that your skills and experience would appeal to a number of consultancies though if you were interested in implementing finance/business systems. Not meaning a progamming job but going in and setting up a package like Oracle/Sap whatever where the initial phase is process led before going through the setup and testing phase. A good consultant who can do techie stuff as well is always valuable.

If you get in a good big consultancy or someone like Oracle then you can generally then move into other areas of that business if they appeal, eg into Sales, Marketing, more technical into management whatever
Old 08-04-2006, 09:13 PM

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...Number=6663078
Old 08-04-2006, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...Number=6663078

[/ QUOTE ]

I see a problem with that Dorm board is for topics like this one - people who know the most about resumes won't be reading that board.

SM, try to put some dollar amounts in your projects that show how much you saved or generated.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:27 AM

As other posters have said, you need to highlight skills that banks/desks look for in analysts.

I would emphasize the economics and CS. State your relevant coursework, particularly anything quantitative like math courses, econometrics, etc. Your CS background is valuable. You should mention which languages you can program. Variants of C, Java, SQL are sought after.

You might want to lighten up the references to all of those tech jobs. Web based development isn't applicable to banking.

As far as formatting, make sure that your resume is readable for someone skimming it, but don't hesitate to max out the margins. As a matter of style, I would hide the text boxes.

Finally, you should include your GPA and SAT or other relevant test scores--especially if they're solid.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would emphasize the economics and CS. State your relevant coursework, particularly anything quantitative like math courses, econometrics, etc. Your CS background is valuable. You should mention which languages you can program. Variants of C, Java, SQL are sought after.

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as languages, I can picture putting in a section such as "Technical Skills", where I layout a lot of the languages I know. But for coursework, do you honestly think I should just list out some of the classes I took? Although I took some advanced economics classes and such, I figured it was pretty standard, and just mentioning the degree would be enough. How would you insert this into the resume?

[ QUOTE ]

You might want to lighten up the references to all of those tech jobs. Web based development isn't applicable to banking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the problem is most of my work experience is tech jobs. I can combine Freestyle/Carat into one job as it was one company that was bought out by another, but I am unsure if this makes me look better or not.

[ QUOTE ]

Finally, you should include your GPA and SAT or other relevant test scores--especially if they're solid.

[/ QUOTE ]
My SAT scores are solid. My GPA is 3.3, does that count as something mentionable, or should I leave it out?