Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2006, 07:22 PM

Default J9s 100NL Party

Villian has never gotten out of line. He likes to bet the pot,or around the pot alot. (based on 37 hands)

he is 27/13/3
how is this turn?
Is this spewing? Should I bet less? Should I have folded the flop?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (5 handed) internettexasholdem.com

UTG ($91.14)
MP ($130.65)
Button ($101.65)
SB ($72.21)
Hero ($155.92)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $3</font>, MP calls $3, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB (poster) calls $2.50, Hero calls $2.

Flop: ($12) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $8</font>, MP folds, SB folds, Hero calls $8.

Turn: ($28) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $25</font>
Old 08-05-2006, 12:44 AM

Default Re: J9s 100NL Party

Villain bet into a multiway pot. That's a little scary. The bet is a little below what you say it is. That might indicate a big hand, given the multiway bet (though it's certainly not reliable). Without more of a read, I don't think betting or check-calling is bad.
Old 08-05-2006, 01:07 AM

What's wrong with check/calling? Both your hands are well disguised, the straight and backdoor flush draws. If he doesn't bet and checks behind, great, we get a free look at the river. If he bets the turn, then also great because we know he really likes his hand and will pay off when we hit our hand so our implied odds are looking good. In addition, when we hit a straight card that is a non heart, we can bet out real strong or even open push against some villains "bluffing" the missed heart draw. Also your straight outs can hit hands villain may have like KQs (i dunno about a UTG raise though) or perhaps KK. I think this play is best made with a heart draw or just saved for later.
Villain has shown strength by raising UTG and cbetting the multiway flop.
Old 08-05-2006, 01:40 AM

The advantage with semi-bluffing is that it will fold out many hands like medium PPs, overcards, and T hands, which I think make up a good part of his range at the moment. So I think a bet and a check-call are pretty close.
Old 08-05-2006, 01:45 AM

I like it, the stop n go can fold out missed hand that villain Cbetted or like the dude above me mxpplzty says will scare off plenty of other weak hands. Plus, if you get called and hit one of your 100 outs on the river your hand is very disguised.
Old 08-05-2006, 01:46 AM

If villain were a thinking player he may wonder what kind of hands play this way. He'd find the flop call, turn pot bet suspicious. I think he'd find a call with TP, but would of course fold when he has nothing. I think checking and seeing what happens is a better line.
Old 08-05-2006, 05:04 AM

c/r AI is sexy.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:29 AM

I'm glad that this isn't really a clear cut decision.
The main reason that I decided to come out firing on the turn is because I picked up more outs. At this point I really have no idea what the Villian has and with me being out of position I Don't know if he's going to bet again. With this hand, at this time, I was thinking that I wanted to make the pot bigger in case he actually had a hand and In case I hit my hand.
Up to this point he had put in $11 of his $91 bucks. If he checks behind on the turn and I hit one of my draws, it's going to be alot harder to actually get most of his money into the middle.

Eithor way, I didn't know what the best course of action would be... So I'm glad I got some opinions on it.

thanks
Old 08-05-2006, 01:28 PM

How much do you discount your outs when you are drawing to a straight with a flush draw on the board? I personally fold this flop.
Old 08-05-2006, 01:40 PM

problem is if he comes over the top here you've effectively bet yourself off the draw. i would check / call. and i agree on flop, with the 2 hearts there you could be counterfeited often so i possibly fold flop.