Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2006, 03:34 PM

Default New Modest Mouse member

The Smiths' guitar genius Johnny Marr has joined the band full time. As a noted fan of both, I'm about as excited as possible over music news.

Word to MattSuspect for the heads-up.

link
Old 08-04-2006, 03:55 PM

Default Re: New Modest Mouse member

I don't know how to feel about this.

In all honesty, Isaac is 100x more important than anyone else in the band to me. Maybe it's because I don't play guitar/bass, but I could never tell the difference between when Dann Gallucci was playing or not. Also, I've never really gotten into the Smiths or even tried (I'm sorry, I'm 18), so I really don't have the hard-on for Marr that I might if I liked them.

What I'm prepared to be disappointed about is the production on the new album. I know Marr has the title of producer, and I'm just not sure why Isaac isn't doing it. Although it wasn't a phenomenal job, his production on Apologies To the Queen Mary was pretty f'n decent considering it was his first shot at it.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In all honesty, Isaac is 100x more important than anyone else in the band to me.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, that's rather obvious. It's his band and they're mostly going to be what he envisions them being. But it doesn't hurt to add a somewhat legendary musical influence to the process. I'm rather excited to see what direction their sound takes.

We've seen what Marr has done since The Smiths broke up. He's not going to be the star of any band. What he does offer is outstanding music writing skills and an unique sound. Or at least an ear for the best material to steal from. His production credits are fairly impressive as well and I'm sure that Brock can, and wants to, learn a thing or two from him.

I'm a huge Smiths' fan, so yes, that's where my excitement stems from more than anything. I doubt he fundamentally changes the band, but he will certainly add a bit more flavor, and it's great to see him back in the fold.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:33 PM

Whatever, I just hope this isn't GNFPWLBNv2.

There better be some banjo, there better not be any penny-whistles, there better be some drunk-Isaac-madman-yelling, and there better not be any songs that ClearChannel would like to add to their playlists.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whatever, I just hope this isn't GNFPWLBNv2.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, I myself loved that album. I see no reason to think that it will be though. Their last two albums have gone in entirely different directions from their previous material, as well as each other. Now they're bringing aboard another creative force who would seem to offer a completely different and hopefully fresh perspective. I'd imagine this is the case since the collaborations have gone so swimmingly thus far to get to this point.
Old 08-05-2006, 04:14 PM

Well, what do you think this is going to sound like? With the exception of maybe Beck, I can't think of anyone who has successively put out exceedingly different albums.

Personally, of the 4 main albums, I'd rate Good News at the bottom with Long Drive. Both are obviously the two ends of the spectrum sound-wise, and while I don't dislike them, they don't compare in my opinion.

M&A is, in my opinion, the best album ever, as a whole. That being said, LCW has my favorite songs, and I wouldn't mind getting an album of nothing but LCW B-sides.

Whatever, I just hope they get back to sounding a bit gritty. They shed most of that on M&A, in favor of the slick production, but it worked with the theme of the album. On Good News however, it was just lacking and for no discernible reason.
Old 08-05-2006, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't think of anyone who has successively put out exceedingly different albums.

[/ QUOTE ]
*cough*Radiohead*cough*
Old 08-05-2006, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I can't think of anyone who has successively put out exceedingly different albums.

[/ QUOTE ]
*cough*Radiohead*cough*

[/ QUOTE ]

The Beatles
The Grateful Dead played a few different styles very well
Old 08-05-2006, 10:47 PM

I disagree. Other bands have evolved to a different sound, sure. But that's not what I'm talking about.

The change from Lonesome Crowded West to The Moon & Antarctica to Good News... was far different from The Bends to OK Computer to Kid A. That was a progression, and to say otherwise is silly. As for the Beatles, they went from pop to a more experimental/psychadelic sound after they discovered drugs/Ravi/boredom with pop-love songs. But again, there was a progression. It's not like they jumped from Please Please Me to Sgt. Pepper. There was Rubber Soul in between, there was Abbey Road. I don't know the Dead, so I'll leave that be, but I'm still trying to come up with someone else besides Beck (lo-fi whiteboy freakout of Mellow Gold/Odelay to bluesy-Latin of Mutations to acoustic singer-songwriter of Sea Change) who jumped from style to style so randomly.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:24 AM

"but I'm still trying to come up with someone else besides Beck (lo-fi whiteboy freakout of Mellow Gold/Odelay to bluesy-Latin of Mutations to acoustic singer-songwriter of Sea Change) who jumped from style to style so randomly."

Im not sure if you've heard of Bran Van 3000, but I highly recommend their album "Glee" which features dance, pop, rock, hip-hop, rap and country songs all on the same album.

I really really recommend this album.