Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Mouse or Hamster?
Mouse 97 97.98%
Hamster 2 2.02%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-04-2006, 02:31 PM

Default Controversial WSOP ME bustout hand- opinions needed

Heres the write up from cardplayer.com first of all

"A large crowd of players, floormen, and reporters gather around a huge pot. Daniel Pelletier has called a clock on an opponent who doesn't know quite what to do. Pelletier has re-raised seat 1 all-in and when the dust begins to settle, Pelletier's opponent turns over 87 for a made flush on the AK538 board. Seat 1 doesn't seem to realize that a clock has been called on him...three times. It soon becomes clear why Pelletier doesn't mind that he's requested a fourth clock. After 30 seconds seat 1 makes the call and Pelletier shows A10 for the stone cold nuts. Seat 1 is eliminated and Pelletier nearly doubles up to $195,000."

The stacks are wrong, I'm seat 1 with over 130,000 and Pelletier has over 195 to start the hand. Heres the controversial part- we put in 4 bets on the turn and I call, he pushes when checked to on the river and I start immediately counting my chips to see what I have left. He calls the floor to get a clock on me and I continue to count, 30 seconds later I flip up my hand and say "I'm not calling yet" and go back to starting an analysis of the hand.

Pretty soon a floor person announces "3,2, ok your hand is dead". I say I'm not even aware that a clock had started and get confirmation from the dealer, floor and opponent that indeed my hand is dead. I was always quick with my decisions never taking more than 10-15 seconds when I was in a hand past preflop and here my hand was dead and I was in pure shock. A few players back me up and say that I never realized that a clock had started. The floor finally reverses the decision (is this possible, I mean if you're hand is confirmed dead and you can still play it, the clock is pointless) and I now I get 30 seconds to put together a hand for my tournament life with tons of gawkers and camera crews 6 inches from my face.

I couldn't even figure out the fact that the the ace of diamonds was not on the board which made me believe he had to have the queen high flush or worse which made me not instamuck when if I had been given time to dissect the hand without distraction/gamesmanship/chaos going on around me. If he had shut his mouth and not called the clock 4 times in the span of 3-4 minutes starting a minute in I could have gotten away. I feel incredibly cheated that I wasn't allowed a reasonable amount of time to make the biggest poker decision of my life.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:37 PM

Default Re: Controversial WSOP ME bustout hand- opinions needed

I thought when a clock is called on you, you get 1 minute, then the floor person starts a countdown from 10. Also, why would you flip up your hand in the middle of all this, besides a thought you'd get some sort of read from him?
Old 08-04-2006, 02:41 PM

First I'm hearing about this hand is now.

obviously it sounds like there was some chaos surrounding the hand on the river.

It sounds like your opponent was calling the clock on you in an attempt to look weak and thus induce a call.

You screwed up big time when you revealed your hand but had not acted on it officially yet. I don't know if you did this out of nervousness or to try to get a read on him but either way it's a big screw up.

Ultimately it sounds like you were flustered and ultimately you DID call and lost.

[ QUOTE ]
I flip up my hand and say "I'm not calling yet" and go back to starting an analysis of the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

^^^
That's why you won't get any sympathy from anyone.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:47 PM

It wasn't for a read, primarily it was to let the table know that I had a real decision and and needed time to act on it.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It wasn't for a read, primarily it was to let the table know that I had a real decision and and needed time to act on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why on earth do you possibly care what the table thinks?

Seriously, why think about that and not your next move? I'm honestly confused.

Why would the other players give a F*&^ if you think you need more time than the floor will allow? They don't sound like any tourney players I've ever met.

Sympathy rays the clock was called early on you. That's not fair.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:52 PM

A good floor person will ask the dealer and or table if the player has had a fair amount of time to make a decision already before they officially call a clock on them. I have never seen a floor person just walk over and put the clock on someone without confirmation from others (including the dealer) that a clock is needed.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:52 PM

I don't get it, were you not putting him on a range of hands when you went 4 bets on the turn? When did the flush card hit?
Old 08-04-2006, 02:55 PM

"
"Why on earth do you possibly care what the table thinks?"

Because I was completely confused that the clock was called. I expected a reasonable amount of time. I looked at the guy once after I flipped it up and mainly because I was upset at his behavior.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't get it, were you not putting him on a range of hands when you went 4 bets on the turn? When did the flush card hit?

[/ QUOTE ]

If Card Player was right, the turn. Board was A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 08-04-2006, 02:56 PM

Well then I got screwed because as far as I know the player was the only one asking for a clock and he asked for it before I revealed my hand.