Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2006, 12:30 PM

Default My Guide to Beating the $20/180s....

I spoke to CharlieDon'tSurf about making one of these anthologies. I have time today so I'll give my opinions how to increase your chances winning the $20/180s. Feel free to add opinions, agree, disagree etc.

1st Hour.

Okay the 1st hour will have the 10/20,15/30,25/50,50/100 blind structures. I play the 1st hour almost like I would play the early stages of a Sit and Go. During this hour I don't play that many pots. I wait for favorable situations to try to accumulate chips. During this hour this is where I'll just try to evaluate all the players so I can pick the best time for me to take their chips. The last 15 minutes of the 1st hour you may want to start getting ready for the 2nd hour and try to steal some blinds if possible because the SB+BB is 150 chips.

Good Chip Count end of 1st hour- After the 1st hour there will be approx 80 people left for an avg chip count of 3375, but I'm happy even if I only have 2500-3000. If you can double your chip stack by the end of hour 1 you're doing good. When the 20/180s first started there used to be around 70 people at the end of the 1st hour, but I think over time people are realizing to play the 1st hour a bit slower.

2nd Hour-

Blinds 75/150,100/200,100/200&25a,200/400&25a.

There is no question that this is the make or break hour in the $20/180s. I've had 300 chips at the end of the 1st hour and won, on the other hand I've had 15k after the 1st hour and not cashed.

Short Stacked- If you are short stacked (under 2k). This hour you have to jump into the action. Your M will be under 9 so you have to get involved in a few pots and try to steal some blinds. Don't get nervous and push 2k in the pot just to double up, you'll have a little bit of time, but try not to dwindle under 1200 chips without playing a pot unless it can't be helped.

Middle Stacks (Around 5k)- If you have a 5k chip stack you've had a great first hour and you can feel comfortable jumping into the action and loosening up a little, but don't take unnecessary all flips with the short stacks. Try to raise other medium stacks blinds if you have the opportunity. At the beginning stages of the 2nd hour your M will be around 20-25 so you can play some pots, but don't get overly aggressive yet.

Big Stacks (7500 and Up) I can't tell you how many times I've seen people (myself included) have gigantic stacks and just blow the entire thing in the 2nd hour. If you have a chip stack like this I still play semi tight for the 1st 30 mins of the 2nd hour. What I mean by semi tight is that I don't jump in alot of pots and raise and reraise like most people like to do w/ a big stack to push the shorties around. Most of the short stacks that play in these will be looking to double up so you will get played back at. Play some pots with this stack but don't call shorties all in for 1200 chips just because you have a monster stack. Some people might disagree and say you have the chips to gamble, but I'd rather let the chips come to me rather than racing for them. Wait til bubble time to pick on the shorties.

The last 15 minutes of hour two is the biggest blinds raise compared to the chips stacks IMO. If you have 2200 chips and the blinds are 100/20025a you're still okay , but all of a sudden they're $200/400 25a and you're in push/fold mode. 850 chips in the middle every hand is substantial and at this point of the tournament (about 35 players left) The blinds and antes alone are worth about 11% of the avg chip stack. That is huge! If you get to the last 15 mins of the 2nd hour I would look to be pushing if you have 3k or under. If you have 3k in chips in MP and look down to see a pair/or 2 high cards I would consider a push and give yourself the chance to increase your stack by almost 30%. The great thing about the 200/400 level is that if you are shortstacked you can easily double or triple your stack in the waning minutes of the 2nd hour without even seeing a flop if you get a nice rush of cards.

Good Chip Count after 2 hours-

There will be approximately 30 people left at the end of the 2nd hour so the avg chip stack will be 9k, and at this point there will probably be about 4 or 5 monster stacks at or around 20k. At this point in the tournament I'm still happy to have around the average chips stack. I would love to have 30k, but 9k is still pretty good and you'll probably be sitting in or around 12th place.

3rd Hour.

Blinds will be high, 300/600, 400/800, 600/1200, 800/1600 all with antes.

Shorties (5k or under). I would immediately consider pushing. YOu will be out or in bad shape if you wait a couple orbits so find a spot and shove all your chips in the middle. It will be even more ideal if there is a caller or 2 in front of you. The squeeze seems to work pretty well in these tournaments around bubble time. 18 people cash and you wouldn't believe how many people hang on for dear life to add that $43.20 to their bankroll.

Middle Stacks (8k-10k)

You'll be sitting in the 12th-18th place range, but if your main goal is to win and not cash (which it should be) you can make some chips at this point. Every hand there will be over 1k in the middle which is worth going after. Try to avoid battles with the giant stacks but you can definetly pick on the little stacks because most of them are trying to make the money.

Giant Stacks (15k and over)

Okay finally you have your time to raise and steal blinds. I even raise w/ hands like A10 UTG, K10 in MP, 79s in late position etc. Hopefully you'll get a couple of short stacks to your right that will be hanging on to make the momey. If that happens you'll probably add 50% to your stack by playing this way. Of course if you get played back at you have to slow down. If i get a good hand I'll raise it up to about 2k when the blinds are 300/600 50a. You're risking 2k to pick up 1350 which at this point of the tournament is very profitable.

In the Money-

Good Job! You're in the money. Now the problem is the money doesn't really get substantial until about 3rd place ($428). Also, 10th thru 18th all pay the same so you have no choice but to play very aggressive once you hit this stage. Even though the $20/180s have a bunch of inexperienced players, most of them understand this concept and immediately after the bubble bursts you'll see alot of all ins on both tables. When it gets down to 2 tables you should bring the other table up and you can get a head start reading the other players that you'll soon see at your table. If you are a big stack you can still play loose and aggressive but just keep in mind that the bubble has burst, and you are again at a full or close to full table, and the shorties are ready to gamble.

Down to 15 people.

Hopefully you've gotten a nice rush of cards to double up because all of a sudden the avg stack is 18k, and when you hit the Final Table the average chipstack will be 30k. You have to keep reminding yourself to not be afraid to go broke. You can afford to take some chances. You are not going to be able to win this tournament by sitting on these chips. Don't make any ridiculous gambles, but wait for some favorable ones. You are approaching the last level of the 3rd hour so even though you have 18k your M is only about 7.

Final Table.

Good Job. You just grabbed a beer to congratulate yourself for making the FT. The 5 minute break is over and you're ready for the 4th and final hour.

Act like you've been there before:

I can guarantee you that 2-4 players are looking at the pay increases. Well we're talking about it I might as well jot them down.

9th - $63
8th - $93
7th - $126
6th - $180
5th - $228
4th - $288
3rd - $428
2nd - $720
1st - $1080

The reason I'm typing this is so you know them. When you make it to the FT don't even consider looking at the payouts. If you look at the payouts you're not looking to win.

Table Layout-

I've been @ FT's where the chipleader had 40k and shortie had 25k and I've seen them where chipleader has 130k and shortie has 2k so you have to play it accordingly. I can't say it enough. Please don't sit there and wait for 1 or 2 people to go out so you can make a few more dollars. I’d rather push JJ and run into AA and go broke rather than folding
Jacks and sticking around. Sounds stupid, but it really is better to go broke playing good poker than to continue playing bad poker.
The people playing to move up a spot or two are costing themse thousands of dollars in the long run. The blinds immediately start off $1000/2000 w/ antes so I play all out aggressive. You have to play aggressive because although you see 9 people at the table, I play it like there are 6 people because 3 of them are playing to move up and do not want to go out. Those are the players that will be leaving the table soon. Just think aggressive, aggressive, aggressive. If you keep that in mind you'll be in good shape. Raise alot of pots preflop

3 Handed- Okay now the average stack is 90k. The 3 of you have been going back and forth stealing the blinds. The blinds are now about 2000/4000. If I raise and get called I’m going to fire out another bet on any kind of flop but put the brakes on if I get played back at. Here is a good example.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t2000 (3 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Toddy (t87982)
Button (t88776)
SB (t93242)

Preflop: Toddy is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t4000</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Toddy raises to t13000</font>, Button calls t9000.

Flop: (t26100) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Toddy bets t17500</font>, Button folds.

Final Pot: t43600

When you are playing 3 handed keep in mind both of the other players are thinking about the $300 jump to 2nd place. You're not thinking that because you are a good player but they are probably thinking that. I raise any decent hand on the button and put the pressure on them to call me. Sometimes I'll raise w/ any 2 cards on the button, and I'm definetly raising almost everytime in the SB. If you continue your aggression you'll be +EV to be Heads Up.

Heads Up:

Okay the avg chip stack is 135k. Hopefully by this time you'll have picked up on a few of your opponents trends. Remember Q6 beats the average hand so on these hands I'll be raising 3x the BB. Try to pick up on the hands your opponent is completing the blinds with. If he's completing everytime with junk bump it up from 4k to 14k every once in awhile to take his free 4k. Most of your play in HU will come from prior knowledge of how your opponent has been playing. If he slow plays his high pairs and bets out his bluffs don't be afraid to reraise his post flop with any 2 cards. If he fires out a 10k bet and you make it 30k to go you're making it very hard on him. You want to have him make the tough decisions. When I play HU I like to protect my hands with big bets and raises since they chips in the middle are so valuable.

Chops: When you get to 3 handed or HU you might have people wanted to chop it up. I have no problem if you want to chop it up and add 700, 800, 900 to your bankroll, but try to make your opponent be the one to ask for the chop. If he wants to make the deal, then odds are you can ask for a little more and odds are you can outplay him so leave some money on the table. If its 3 handed and they want a chop maybe say "each take $700 and play for the final $148", or heads up say each take $850 and play for $100. Hopefully you will say no and play for the win but if the blinds get so high that the 2 of you are going all in every hand it might not be a bad idea if the deal seems right for you.

I've won a $20/180 where do I go next?

Nowhere! You stay right here and keep the 20/180s in your poker roladex and continue to play them. They are very profitable.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:50 PM

Default Re: My Guide to Beating the $20/180s....

Nice post, I made a similar post regarding the $4/180's (bankroll can't handle the variance in the $20...yet) which are much more landminish in the early rounds and only last about 3.5 hours to get to the end. Sounds like a very similar game, tight early, loose when antes start and bubble time, tight after the bubble bursts, loose on FT bubble, and FT game once you get there. Well done.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:57 PM

Thanks. I'm sure I missed some stuff. I live by the $20/180s.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:07 PM

Very nice post. I play a lot of these as well and have made a healthy profit. Level 7, when the blinds stay the same but the antes kicks in (200/100/25a), is a very nice level to steal at since you are laying 6:5 odds on a 600 chips steal. I start stealing a lot here, if people let me that is. Also, on level 8 (and all later levels) where the big blind is t800 we don't need to raise 3x anymore, 2200 is plenty. I find that people fold to this raise just as often as to a 2400 raise. Saving those 200 chips everytime someone plays back at you adds up in the long run.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Very nice post. I play a lot of these as well and have made a healthy profit. Level 7, when the blinds stay the same but the antes kicks in (200/100/25a), is a very nice level to steal at since you are laying 6:5 odds on a 600 chips steal. I start stealing a lot here, if people let me that is. Also, on level 8 (and all later levels) where the big blind is t800 we don't need to raise 3x anymore, 2200 is plenty. I find that people fold to this raise just as often as to a 2400 raise. Saving those 200 chips everytime someone plays back at you adds up in the long run.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definetly agree with that. Sometimes i'll raise anywhere between 1600 and 2800 on tne $400/800. If I have a loose player sometimes I'll over raise the blinds to $2800 just so he can see the 2 yellow 1k chips.. I feel like subconsiously people think its alot more chips.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:27 PM

thank you nice right up
Old 08-04-2006, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice post, I made a similar post regarding the $4/180's (bankroll can't handle the variance in the $20...yet) which are much more landminish in the early rounds and only last about 3.5 hours to get to the end. Sounds like a very similar game, tight early, loose when antes start and bubble time, tight after the bubble bursts, loose on FT bubble, and FT game once you get there. Well done.

[/ QUOTE ]

You got a link to your 4/180 post? I'm on a massive downswing on them at the moment and am looking for some other thoughts and ideas.

Nice post Toddy. I'll bear this post in mind if I'm ever ready to move up.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:54 PM

My fav stage of this tourney is when the BB goes up to 400. The jump from 200 to 400 is just huge and you are nearing the bubble. This is the stage I really like to open up my game at and take advantage of the players waiting for hands.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You got a link to your 4/180 post? I'm on a massive downswing on them at the moment and am looking for some other thoughts and ideas.

Nice post Toddy. I'll bear this post in mind if I'm ever ready to move up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. I actually played in teh 4/180s a couple months ago when i was in the top 20 in the TLB. YOu can do good in those. The first hour of those I play even tighter and eventually people will start handing your their chips.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:10 PM

Thx - very nice post. I am trying to play the $4/180s this way too and it seems to be working, although your ITM bubble strategy is something I think I need to focus more on