Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2006, 07:22 PM

Default Loosish calldown

3/6 4-handed.

I've been opening quite a bit lately FWIW. I raise A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on the button, SB (who has been cold-calling a lot and seeing a lot of flops and is 62/17/1.2 over 30 hands) 3-bets. I cap. Heads-up.

Flop 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. He bets, I call.

Turn 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. He bets and I call.

River T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Kind've ugly. He bets and I thought it over for a bit and called. I was getting 8.25:1 I believe.

Thoughts?
Old 08-02-2006, 07:37 PM

Default Re: Loosish calldown

I think this is a crappy spot for a call down. SB isn't a ridiculous lagtard, and he's bet and raised at every opportunity.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:42 PM

Sometimes I make crappy calldowns knowing my image is out of control, but they still always have KK because they don't adjust well. Fold turn looks best, but I think you have to call the river as played.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:00 PM

Thank you for the responses. To either of you:

If you had AK would this change anything? Do you see any merit to calling the turn to fold this specific river? (I believe I overestimate how ugly it is vs. his likely hand range.) If you called the turn, would you call down any river or fold certain stuff? King of spades maybe.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:43 PM

If you guys hadn't capped pf is this a calldown?

I would have called pf then called down on this and most boards against this guy.

Bob he seems like the kind of guy to bet into you no matter what he has or the board and you probably will never fold a better hand so that removes my two reasons for capping when I have a hand with showdown value like this. You can raise him when you hit or you can use your position to gaurantee that a bet goes in on every street.

Does everyone cap in this spot?
Old 08-04-2006, 01:51 PM

I prefer better reads but generally against a 62/17 player there is no way I'm folding. I also raise the turn a lot of times with better reads.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I prefer better reads but generally against a 62/17 player there is no way I'm folding. I also raise the turn a lot of times with better reads.

[/ QUOTE ]

What 3-betting hands do we raelly beat against someone whose pfr is 17? AJ? Against a 62/30 this argument would make more sense ...
Old 08-04-2006, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What 3-betting hands do we raelly beat against someone whose pfr is 17? AJ? Against a 62/30 this argument would make more sense ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you think a player with VPIP 62 will only PFR with the top 17% of his hands? Like he has any idea? I say that he is more likely to raise with A2 than 99 and he is more likely to raise with crap just because he's sick of our steal attempts.

So yes I'm not folding the river given these odds and the fact that I don't know his PFR tendencies or any other more specific reads on his pre or post flop play.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:30 PM

I play the same

Just noticed that you capped preflop and he's still betting into you. That makes me lean more towards folding on the turn.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:35 PM

I probably wouldnt make it past the turn here, but I agree with what kapw7 is saying about the pfr% range. I think in general in this forum, we give these type of players unrealistic ranges.. a 62/17 pfr range is usually going to be quite a bit different than a 24/17 pfr range.. These types of players lack patience and discipline, and tend to get bored/fed up with being raised, etc. and often act out impulsively. Against a player like this who is new to the table, I think there is enough value just in calling down, primarily for the sake of future hands. The better you understand these types, the better you can exploit all of their oh-so exploitable tendencies.