Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2006, 05:26 PM

Default TD 2-7 Starting Hands and Basic Strategy

First couple times playing I was on a roll doubling my buyin both times after basically reading the rules of the game. Now i'm running like Rosie O Donnel on a treadmill, lost my full buyin the last 3 games after about an hour. I feel like i'm making some fundamental mistakes. Could somebody point me in the direction of some basic strategy threads or articles ? Heard there was a good section by Negranu in SS2 might have to check that out.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:34 PM

Default Re: TD 2-7 Starting Hands and Basic Strategy

If you read SS2 and follow it, you should have no problem beating the low limit games. I think many who have read SS2 do not follow it and play way too loose. They get involved with hands like 2568 after a raise and reraise, they draw to straights, and they call raises with hands like 246 outside of the big blind. After the first time I read SS2 I was doing all of these things. If you learn to play correctly predraw this game is very beatable at the low limits. After that you need to learn how to play the turn correctly, which I still dont know how to do. Read and then reread SS2- it doesn't contain everything, and there are one or two things I disagree with- and it won't help you much with shorthanded games- and then come back here with more questions.

Edited to ask- if you've been playing on UB, what limits? Because I have a few ideas as to who you may be.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:47 PM

I've been playing $2/$4 under the handle "iroxursox". I didn't actually read the SS2 section yet, but i'll pick it up this Friday. Are you saying the strategy portrayed in the section won't be much help in the 6 handed game at UB (I thought thats the normal size for a TD table) or do you mean shorthanded as in 1-3 people ?
Old 08-02-2006, 06:56 PM

I was right. You were my top pick out of 3 possible. Stop trying to pick off bluffs! I haven't snowed you once, yet. SS2 is great for a full game, but HU and 3 handed you need to start making a lot more read-based plays, raising with trashier hands, especially from the button, and defending with those same hands as well. I am Plath btw. That hand today where Herb raised you with a pair of 3s because he misread his hand, then checked the river after you drew 2 and he still won was sick btw. I'm still laughing about that.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:20 PM

Oh hey plath, thanks for the advice. Well on the topic of me calling off bluffs, one or 2 of those were accidental I tend to click the wrong thing alot. I guess my main problem i've been playing 246 like it's the damn holy grail. And I pretty much refuse to laydown any 3 cards under 7. Also the hands like 2386 are killing me aswell I usually reraise an initial raiser and he reraises me and I end up calling to the showdown with a rough 9.

What about hands that are halfway to a straight ? I'll be sitting with 3,4,5 raise before first draw. First draw I Get a 6, should I be hanging onto the 6 or discard something or fold the hand completely. With these hands by the end of 3rd draw im usually sitting with a straight or a pair.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess my main problem i've been playing 246 like it's the damn holy grail.

[/ QUOTE ]

234 and 237 are the holy grail of 2 card draws. It drops off after that, and the only 2 card draw containing a 6 worth calling a raise with is 267. And even that can be folded sometimes.

[ QUOTE ]

And I pretty much refuse to laydown any 3 cards under 7. Also the hands like 2386 are killing me aswell I usually reraise an initial raiser and he reraises me and I end up calling to the showdown with a rough 9.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well an 86 is usually good but if you end up making a 98 on the end you need a read against a player who is pat early before you can call. Calling indiscriminately against players like Herb and myself with 98s is only going to make us richer. But that is if we are pat early. If we are both drawing one going into the last draw you need to call obv- since I will bluff or bet a ten often enough.

[ QUOTE ]

What about hands that are halfway to a straight ? I'll be sitting with 3,4,5 raise before first draw. First draw I Get a 6, should I be hanging onto the 6 or discard something or fold the hand completely. With these hands by the end of 3rd draw im usually sitting with a straight or a pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should only raise 345 HU. Its not even worth raising from the button in a 3 handed game. Most starting hands need a duece, but hands like 348 and 358 can be raised in late position.

Edited to add that reraising w/ 2368 is fine, as long as you are against only one opponent. Getting involved in a multiway pot with an 86 draw is asking for trouble imo. The same holds for 2x78- if it is multiway you are best off by breaking the 8 and going for the nuts.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:47 PM

Hmmm, I can see now why i've been running crappy. I read a article off howard lederer's site where he was talking about 3 to a wheel and I instantly assumed any 3 to the wheel was a strong hand and thus played it as so.

One more question that branched off a previous one, what if I start with 3,4,5,6 what then ? Easy Fold, or playable in sh or what ?
Old 08-02-2006, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

One more question that branched off a previous one, what if I start with 3,4,5,6 what then ? Easy Fold, or playable in sh or what ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only playable HU, and I would still ditch the 6. Any two or 8, or even a 9 can improve your hand enough to keep going. If I am in the bb HU and have 345 I will usually call unless the button is playing insanely tight, but if I dont catch a 2 or 8 I'm probably done with the hand.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:03 PM

Oh and just one more question [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] , I've seen you call a single raise in the BB a couple times discarding 3. I'm guessing this is acceptable play with 2,7 or are there other 3 card draws ?

Another thing that i've been wondering say you got a decent 2 draw and from the looks of it so does your opponent when he draws 2. You completely miss the first draw, your opponent bets do you call this without improving usually, I haven't seen many folds after first draw so i've been wondering. Say you do end up calling this 2nd draw, he draws one. You blank again. He bets, your hand is now foldable or if the pot is big enough do you ever go for a 2 draw with one draw left in this situation ?

Thanks for the help I appreciate it, hopefully I can stop handing you over my money [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-02-2006, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh and just one more question [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] , I've seen you call a single raise in the BB a couple times discarding 3. I'm guessing this is acceptable play with 2,7 or are there other 3 card draws ?

[/ QUOTE ]

If its multiway I will always call a single raise with hands like 23, 24, 25, or 27. 26 and 28 should be folded in most circumstances. If the raise comes from a solid player in early position and its folded around to me then I may fold a hand like 24 or 25 because I may end up getting outplayed and be out of position and I think it may be best to just not get involved. For example- they see me draw 3 and decide to snow or stay pat with a ten because they know I need a lot of help. They know were I'm at but I have no clue where their at and may end up breaking a 9 which is good later on in the hand. Not worth it imo.

If its a late position raise I think you have to call with all of those hands except 26 and 28, but if they are constantly raising in late position then you may have to start calling with those as well. I was talking with someone last night who says he always calls button raises with 28, but I think that may be too loose, depending upon who is doing the raising.

[ QUOTE ]

Another thing that i've been wondering say you got a decent 2 draw and from the looks of it so does your opponent when he draws 2. You completely miss the first draw, your opponent bets do you call this without improving usually, I haven't seen many folds after first draw so i've been wondering.

[/ QUOTE ]

A call again is pretty mandatory with most draws. But If I'm in the big blind and call a raise with something nasty like 256 and its hu- 4.5 small bets in the pot- and I brick completely- I'm probably folding. The same is true for 246, but if I have anything smoother, including 236 then I am calling again, especially if they they play badly. I am probably folding 268. With rough 8 draws in that spot I want to improve quickly or be done with the hand.

[ QUOTE ]

Say you do end up calling this 2nd draw, he draws one. You blank again. He bets, your hand is now foldable or if the pot is big enough do you ever go for a 2 draw with one draw left in this situation ?

[/ QUOTE ]

The pot has to be huge- which means multiway- you have to have a draw to the nuts- 237, 234, etc, and a reason to believe that nobody is pat yet helps too. Here is a thread
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...rue#Post6564586

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the help I appreciate it, hopefully I can stop handing you over my money [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmmmm. Thats the problem with this forum.