Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2006, 02:14 PM

Default I Try NL; Hands Played =1, Buy-Ins Lost = 1

This was my first hand on No-Limit. I have been playing limit exclusively for 2 years (as well as donating some to SNG's). I feel like my aggression in Limit is not going to transfer well to the NL structure.

In Limit, if I raise PF and get a reraise, its almost an auto-call. Is that not the case here?
Should I be folding hands like this to a reraise?
On the flop i think I have invested too much to fold to his small reraise. Is this correct thinking?
How much credit should I be giving these SSNL players?
How do you guys play TPTK in NL? (Situational, I understand - but any general Tptk advice is much appreciated)

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

CO ($45)
Button ($59.24)
SB ($14.78)
BB ($38.90)
UTG ($64.10)
UTG+1 ($10)
Hero ($50.95)
MP1 ($50.66)
MP2 ($41)
MP3 ($32.53)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25. UTG+1 posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 (poster) checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3.5</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises to $8</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls $4.50.

Flop: ($17.25) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $15</font>, MP3 calls $24.53 (All-In), Hero calls $9.53.

Turn: ($66.31) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: ($66.31) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $66.31

<font color="white"> MP3 had KK </font>
Old 08-02-2006, 02:18 PM

Default Re: I Try NL; Hands Played =1, Buy-Ins Lost = 1

if someone raises to $8 in this level, i lay down. There's basically representing a high pocket pair or AK.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:19 PM

One of the big differences between limit and no limit as I'm sure you are aware is the potential to lose your whole stack at any given point. This means hands that make big pairs are more vulnerable. In a full rign game, unless you have a read on an opponent you will want to be folding AQo to a reraise. As you played it I think it is fine on the flop. You will lose a good percentage of the time but I wouldn't think over half making the move +EV.

If you want to be very aggressive like you played in limit then you want to play 6-max tables. There you can be far more aggressive and not have to worry about running into big hands as often.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:20 PM

fold preflop, check fold the flop. This is AA/KK almost always
Old 08-02-2006, 02:22 PM

Hero ($50.95) ??

Fold these to the PF re-raise.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:25 PM

I really don't like your 7x BB raise preflop. I would typically make it $2 to $2.5 with the UTG+1 poster in the hand. $3.5 just blows the pot up too big with a hand that is pretty vulnerable from EP.

Fold to the reraise preflop. After you decide to call though, you should either check/raise or check/call (if he bets small). Leading out will just get him to fold hands like JJ that will actually bet when you're ahead.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This was my first hand on No-Limit. I have been playing limit exclusively for 2 years (as well as donating some to SNG's). I feel like my aggression in Limit is not going to transfer well to the NL structure.

In Limit, if I raise PF and get a reraise, its almost an auto-call. Is that not the case here?
Should I be folding hands like this to a reraise?
On the flop i think I have invested too much to fold to his small reraise. Is this correct thinking?
How much credit should I be giving these SSNL players?
How do you guys play TPTK in NL? (Situational, I understand - but any general Tptk advice is much appreciated)

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

CO ($45)
Button ($59.24)
SB ($14.78)
BB ($38.90)
UTG ($64.10)
UTG+1 ($10)
Hero ($50.95)
MP1 ($50.66)
MP2 ($41)
MP3 ($32.53)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25. UTG+1 posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 (poster) checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3.5</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises to $8</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls $4.50.

Flop: ($17.25) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $15</font>, MP3 calls $24.53 (All-In), Hero calls $9.53.

Turn: ($66.31) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: ($66.31) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $66.31

<font color="white"> MP3 had KK </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally speaking absent a read that villian 3 bets light I will fold AQo to a 3 bet...Also if this was your first hand I would not be posting a blind from your position..After the flop call I donot see a way to get away from your hand given stack sizes..I would actually puke when I hit my hand...

Aggression will transfer well into NL..Aggression is very important..But what is equaly important is how you interpret others aggression..

Sorry looking at chip stack could not have been your first hand
Old 08-02-2006, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I feel like my aggression in Limit is not going to transfer well to the NL structure.

[/ QUOTE ]
Aggression is necessary in no-limit, so don't think about letting up. However, position is as important. In this situation, you are out of position, so you need to tread more carefully.

[ QUOTE ]
In Limit, if I raise PF and get a reraise, its almost an auto-call. Is that not the case here? Should I be folding hands like this to a reraise?

[/ QUOTE ]

Until a player indicates otherwise, a re-raise pre-flop indicates a monster. Look at how your hand would hold up against AA, KK, AK, or QQ and make the decision for yourself. Of course, once you start getting reads on players, you may find out they are re-raising with worse hands, but don't assume this from the start.

One note: 7xBB raise in early position seems VERY high, unless that's what the table has been playing at. Stick to 3x-5x for a while.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. You have to see it to the end at this point.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fold preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Is not folding preflop a big leak? I normally play AQ UTG at 9-handed tables (on Stars, although I mainly play 6m anyway), and you're advocating folding in 8th position...
Old 08-02-2006, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
fold preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Is not folding preflop a big leak? I normally play AQ UTG at 9-handed tables (on Stars, although I mainly play 6m anyway), and you're advocating folding in 8th position...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he means to the reraise. I sometimes play AQ to a reraise, but only after I know the opponent better. AQ is a tough had to play if you hit. You don't lose much folding here, and may save some money in the long run. If you are new to NL play extra tight.

You will still get paid peddling the nuts at the low limits, and you can add more moves as you get more experience.